Tenor Ukulele Enya EUT-MAD

Cq11

Reaction score
Tenor Ukulele Enya EUT-MAD all solid Mahogany

Is this really all solid Mahogany? Seems too cheap, I am very wary of amazon seller claims and although I love the look of it I suspect its laminate.

It's not that unusual for there to be a somewhat generic branded ukulele (Made in China, Indonesia, etc) to offer a price like that on a solid wood instrument.

Probably legit, though I don't personally have experience with that brand.
Might need a bit of setting up before being decently playable

If something looks to good to be true then it more likely is.

I bought an Enya as my first uke, it had a bent and twisted neck and was definitely made to a budget.

I am not a fan of buying kit off Amazon as I prefer to support my local uke retailer but in this case if you do proceed with buying one at least if it is a questionable build then you can return it foc as defective.

Enya is pretty aware of the ukulele environment--and they are aware of the issue of calling an instrument what it really is. I don't doubt that the body is solid mahogany.

I do get concerned about Col's information about the twisted neck, which is posted on every Enya thread on UU. I know of two people...Col and Besley...who experienced such a thing. Both occurred at the same time, and there was likely a bad batch. In both cases, Enya took care of the issue with a replacement and/or return. Simply put, every ukulele company has "duds" and this includes the hallowed K Brands. So I appreciate the effort to inform a potential buyer that there was an issue, but I'm not sure they should be dragged through the mud for eternity, particularly when they tried to make things right.

I've found Enya to be an exceptional entry level instrument, and if there's a complaint (beyond the two twisted necks on Tenor models more than a year ago) it is that many of the Enya models seem to be less loud than you'd expect. I've found--for an instrument you buy on Amazon--that the quality control has been exceptional, and that set-up seems to be completed to rigorous standards.

There are other solid Mahogany models to look at (for example, Mainland) and there are solid topped Mahogany models from a number of vendors.

The nice think about ordering from Amazon is that if you don't like the instrument, you can send it back...and you may even be able to do so at your local Kohl's store!

That's pretty much what I was going to say. Enya takes their instrument building seriously. They arrive set up perfectly and play well.

Enya is pretty aware of the ukulele environment--and they are aware of the issue of calling an instrument what it really is. I don't doubt that the body is solid mahogany.

I do get concerned about Col's information about the twisted neck, which is posted on every Enya thread on UU. I know of two people...Col and Besley...who experienced such a thing. Both occurred at the same time, and there was likely a bad batch. In both cases, Enya took care of the issue with a replacement and/or return. Simply put, every ukulele company has "duds" and this includes the hallowed K Brands. So I appreciate the effort to inform a potential buyer that there was an issue, but I'm not sure they should be dragged through the mud for eternity, particularly when they tried to make things right.

I've found Enya to be an exceptional entry level instrument, and if there's a complaint (beyond the two twisted necks on Tenor models more than a year ago) it is that many of the Enya models seem to be less loud than you'd expect. I've found--for an instrument you buy on Amazon--that the quality control has been exceptional, and that set-up seems to be completed to rigorous standards.

There are other solid Mahogany models to look at (for example, Mainland) and there are solid topped Mahogany models from a number of vendors.

The nice think about ordering from Amazon is that if you don't like the instrument, you can send it back...and you may even be able to do so at your local Kohl's store!

@Bazmaz gave the fancier version (EUT-M6) of that a good review at [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.gotaukulele.com/2018/12/enya-eut-m6-tenor-ukulele-review.html . Can't tell for sure, but my guess is that the differences are mainly cosmetic and the cutaway rather than the sound.

I think the low volume Enyas are primarily the HPL ones. Baz put the M6's good volume in the pro column

[/FONT]

Thank you everyone for the replys, I am Indeed new to the ukulele, picked my first up from a charity shop for £10 and was hooked so ended up buying a slightly better one the donner concert, I'm after a tenor now and love the slotted headstock look and was shopping for a solid top which is all expected to afford for around the £150/200 mark. I am considering this one as it seems decent, volume isn't a massive issue as I only play at home for myself mainly.

Here’s the official link from enya
www.enyamusical.com/cpzs/info_13_itemid_32.html
And the text description which i image linked over here.
201706281041134113.jpg

The description says full solid 3A grade Africa Mahogany for the top, sides and back.

I have a M6 tenor which is well setup and plays well out of box. The MAD version should have a radiused fretboard, even a laminated version X1 has it.

As for volume, in my experience of the M6, is the normal tenor level kind of loudness. You can’t compare it with the exceptional loud ukes such as koaloha, aNueNue moonbird, martin.

Hope this helps!

All very valid.

Besley’ problem Enya uke was 2017 where mine was this year so same batch, highly unlikely.

Definately a QC issue, but as long as a bought one looks and sounds great is fine.

The EUT MAD here in the UK is sold at £125 which for a solid wood uke is very, very cheap.

As an example the solid Kala tenor is £265 and a MartinT1K is £565.

So the Enya is worth a punt as long as there is a no quibble return.

And for the record, the company's names leave something to be desired. Kaka, which was around first and had more a sense of "bargain basement," like Kmise, just has a bad connotation in terms of translation (i.e. Spanish, which does influence the use of English in the USA). Kaka?

Enya makes all of think about a New Age artist. Sail away, sail away, sail away...

Whoever is picking the names for the company ought to go on a trip to Hawaii and find some Hawaiian terms to name the company for instead.

Interesting that Amazon US is showing 8 versions of this model, and only one has free shipping.

Top Bottom