Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online uke building course

Default Online uke building course

This morning I purchased Jay Lichty's Advanced Ukulele Building course. I've long wanted to go to a guitar or uke building workshop, but just couldn't justify the high cost, especially when travel and lodging costs were considered. Produced and sold through O'Brien Guitars, the videos are of extremely high quality. I downloaded all 18+ hours to my SSD storage drive so I could watch them off-line, although online viewing is an option if so desired.

I'm hoping these videos will help me up my skills a notch or two. I seem to make bone-headed mistakes that irk the daylights out of me. Jay's instruments are of incredible quality, and he's a fantastic player, too. He seems like a personable guy, and he replied very quickly when I e-mailed him a question. I'm going to enjoy this series. It was $267 if anyone else is interested, and it's at obrienguitars.com.

Robbie O'Brien is a great guy! I'm sure his class will be a great learning experience!
    ~
    Regards,
    Peter M
    Cornerstone Guitars/Ukes
    www.cornerstoneguitar.com

I've watched many of Robbie's free YT videos. In this course he took his video equipment to Jay's NC workshop, and filmed Jay building an upscale tenor uke. I wish I'd had teachers like Jay when I was in school. He comes across as relaxed and confident, but down to earth at the same time. He even talks about mistakes he made in his early years. I watched a couple hours worth of the videos yesterday. He and Robbie seem to have a similar sense of humor, too.

I've been increasingly frustrated with myself on the way the bindings were turning out on my current tenor uke build. After watching the video segments in this course where Jay demonstrates cutting channels, gluing, and trimming bindings, I made the immediate decision to start over on my own uke bindings. I routed out all of my bindings, carefully following Jay's suggestions on how to get an even channel. Now that I have fresh channels, I'm restart the bending and gluing process this week.

As Robie O'Brian once said in one of his Youtube videos, "A poor binding job can ruin an otherwise perfect build" (or words to that effect). The eye is automatically drawn to even minute imperfections here and you have to get it right.

On my first attempt, I mucked up my bindings twice - rounding the corners too thin while trying to get the sides flush. Then I switched to a lightly cambered scraper and it went perfectly. I picked up the set that Lee Valley sells, which are thinner/more flexible than the old Sandvick ones I started with.

Yeah, the bindings on my other build, a nylon tenor guitar, aren't perfect either, but they're not so bad that I'm going to redo them. I was working on the uke bindings around 0430 this morning, and so far, this set fits a lot better. I'll just chalk these up to learning.

I found the Jay Litke uke videos to be mone well spent, even after 40 years of building.

I too found the videos worthwhile. They confirmed that I am doing many things right, and also gave me many ideas on how to improve my instruments.
    Kevin Mason
    Mason Guitars and Ukuleles

I wonder what the differences are between the O'Brien Ukulele building course taught with Heidi Litke of Red Sands Ukuleles vs the one you purchased Advanced Ukulele Building with Jay Lichty? Any comments welcome.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

Thread Information