Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Online uke building course

According to Robbie, Heidi's videos are for a more basic uke. Jay's course delves into making a cutaway, bindings, a side sound port, installing a pickup, crafting an end graft, and adding an arm bevel.

Not for the faint-hearted then?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyturley View Post
    According to Robbie, Heidi's videos are for a more basic uke. Jay's course delves into making a cutaway, bindings, a side sound port, installing a pickup, crafting an end graft, and adding an arm bevel.
    Thanks for your comment
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Howlett View Post
    Not for the faint-hearted then?
    I think anyone with patience and perseverance could tackle those tasks, although not necessarily to a high standard. I added bindings, a bound side port, and a pickup to my first uke, and while there was room for improvement, I'm pleased with how it came out.

Heidi builds with a Spanish heel. Jay uses a bolt-on neck with mortise and tenon. Both are overly complicated. Both will work. Heidi's instruction stays beginnerish, though she and Robbie apparently talked it over and added some more advanced treatments at the end. Both employ machinery that a beginner is unlikely to own unless he comes from a woodworking background. Just because Jay builds a uke with all the bells and whistles doesn't mean a beginner has to employ those tricks, so his videos will work just as well for a first-time builder. I picked up solid tips from both, though more so from Jay.

Yeah, I forgot to include the bolted mortise and tenon joint in my list above. I haven't seen Heidi's videos, just Robert's description of them. I've also picked up some solid tips from Jay's videos. I wasn't trying to say a beginner needs to add all of Jay's enhancements. I do have a woodworking background, and although I'm fairly new to instrument building, I'm not afraid to dive in and attempt complicated tasks. That's why I chose Jay's course. I don't consider myself a luthier . . . just a hobbyist who enjoys building stringed instruments, and I'll take all the help I can get.

i’m working on my first two ‘ukuleles and picked up jay’s course. really liking it and it’s been super helpful. i’m not making the style ‘ukulele that’s in the course, but i am able to use almost everything in the videos to adapt to my build. just wish i had a drum sander and table saw, but i’m making due without them.

There is so much content on the internet that purchased courses seem to me to be redundant now... despite how good or otherwise they may be. It's the reason I haven't done it because nothing can replace an in-person course.

Here's my thinking in the first 16 minutes of this long workshop visit...

Thread Information