Harmony Fretboard Question

Uke66

Reaction score
I have a Harmony soprano uke with a slightly twisted fretboard.

The twist starts around fret #9 and continues to the soundhole end.

Is there an easy way to return the flatness or should I look for a replacement piece?

Would weight and a heat gun help?

I haven't tried heat yet because I don't want to accidentally damage the frets themselves, and I really don't want to expoxy and clamp the fretboard to the neck.

Pictures are attached.

Thanks for any possible advice.

View attachment 119119

View attachment 119120

A heat application might do it, go slow and lightly clamp between the frets. If that goes bad, then I would look for a replacement fret board or a ukulele that has that type of fret board, There are many inexpensive or damaged ones that would cost as much as a replacement fret board.

I agree with PetalumaRescuke, give it a try and see how it goes. If I were doing this I would likely put it between a couple of damp towels and create some steam to soften it (if it will soften) and then let it cool between a flat surface and something flat and heavy or clamped above.

As he said, these fretboards can be found so why not give it a shot?

Your problem isn't the fretboard dipping at fret 9 but the cupping that is evident across the width of the board, much more serious. You could try wetting the top surface of the board and clamping it to a former that gives the slight opposite to the cupping ie. convex across the formers width. Then again you might just wish to use an entirely different fretboard.

Assuming that is a styrene board, I think that even if it can be coaxed back to straight, it will likely distort again due to styrene's thermoset properties. The two centre line screws will have no effect in countering the cupping, with the two neck block screws being the only lateral restraint.
As already suggested, buying a “parts” uke might be your easiest and cheapest source of a trouble free replacement.
There are references to different models of Harmony having styrene, bakelite and wooden fingerboards so, if this is the case, you have a few good choices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom