back of the headstock ideas please

Well! thats another project over.....I made a dust hood out of plywood and a piece of PVA gutter, I designed it so it was easy to fit and remove with one screw knob. It covers the drum completly and only allows neck headstocks in thro' the slot at the base....it's fixed set to sand to 11mm in one go...I tested it out with a vacuum fitted to the nozzle and it worked great no dust problem at all...here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4fWyCM4Cps
View attachment 119676
View attachment 119677
View attachment 119678
View attachment 119679

Nice job Ken, as expected.

Great set-up Ken. I get no flexing with my drum so don't need to have that support bearing. As usual though, you have done it all 'right 'n proper' - we expect nothing less :) . My inspiration was an old documentary on the Gibson Nashville operation which showed machines similar to the one you and I and others it seems have. The refinement was the headstock platoon was a sliding table... That would of course be the next generation machine wouldn't it?

Great set-up Ken. I get no flexing with my drum so don't need to have that support bearing. As usual though, you have done it all 'right 'n proper' - we expect nothing less :) . My inspiration was an old documentary on the Gibson Nashville operation which showed machines similar to the one you and I and others it seems have. The refinement was the headstock platoon was a sliding table... That would of course be the next generation machine wouldn't it?
Yes pete youre right ...I do have some drawer slides in stock for that modification, but I'll leave it as is for now co's it works great.

Well that's it..Definitely the best way to sand em..I only completed the device yesterday and 24 hours later they are all done, 68 in total ...the thing is, I may never have to use it again that's enough necks to last about 3 years and by then I'll be an old git of 83 :eek:ld: and most likely will have retired or worse :(

Last edited:
I'll be an old git of 83 :eek:ld: and most likely will have retired or worse :(

You will still be a young git at 83. Look at Stradivarius, he was still making violins at 96 years of age. Picture below of Ken in his shop. Note the uncanny resemblance to the master himself.

Antonio_stradivari.jpg

….and most likely will have retired or worse :(

I find that retirement is manageable but I haven't seen too much positive feedback for the “or worse”...…. and so will be avoiding it for as long as possible.

Top Bottom