Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steel Strings: Use a Pick or Use Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I don't think the pick noise is coming through the amp, but I can hear it, and it's distracting.
    Yeah. The pick noise doesn't get captured by a magnetic pickup and doesn't get amplified. If you can hear the unamplified pick noise then the amplified volume isn't high enough

Maybe a felt pick would be better.
    Personally, I can't stand the feel of felt picks and threw them out before even giving them a real chance acoustically. Picks are like strings though: there are lots of choices, everybody has a different opinion, and everybody's opinion is right. You can pick up a ton of picks pretty cheaply and try them out to see what works for you.

I mostly gravitate to Dava picks, but for some songs and some instruments I prefer heavier (coins are classics!).

I know people who swear by Blue Chip Picks, but I avoid anything too expensive because I'll lose 'em. This came out of one laundry load:
    IMG_0337.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    i bought a couple of picks, but normally use cut up (credit type) cards of various thicknesses & shapes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    I haven't found a card stock I actually like, but this is one of the silliest, best, and most useless music gadgets I have!

I have no steel string ukuleles.

On my steel string acoustic guitar I usually play arpeggios without a pick. Or alternate between picking single bass notes and strumming the rest of the strings.
    No problem there.

But when I play a song with just strumming, and I tend to strum a bit louder and intensely, I can feel it wearing on my nails and I believe that I should use a pick for that. I have an assortment to choose from, but I am not used to using one.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

There is no right or wrong way there is only what works for you and a specific song.

Try using a series of different thickness of picks

As a starter, use thin pick for strumming, and a thick pick for riffs and instrumentals.

A slight difference in thickness can make a big difference as can the material the pick is made from.

Experiment.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

I like to fingerpick my steel string baritone, but the steel strings can be tough on my fingernails. I will sometimes use Fred Kelly fingerpicks with a Dunlop thumb pick.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Jerry,
    Try Wedgie picks. They are made of a type of elastomer and feel a bit like rubber. They do not make any clicking sound at all, and are easy to grip too. Available in three different degrees of stiffness (i.e. soft, medium, and hard, indicated by their color: light, medium, or dark gray). Start with the medium, see what you think, then collect the whole set! :-) Can be found on Amazon, and frequently at local music stores.
    Jan D.
    KoAloha KCM-00 (koa concert)
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia concert)
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele (yew concert)
    Flight TUS35 (blue soprano)
    UKES LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME:
    *Ohana TK-35CG (mahogany tenor w/cutaway)
    *Kala KA-SLNG (long neck soprano)
    *Snail SUC (solid top mahogany concert)

Quote Originally Posted by Jan D View Post
    Jerry,
    Try Wedgie picks. They are made of a type of elastomer and feel a bit like rubber. They do not make any clicking sound at all, and are easy to grip too. Available in three different degrees of stiffness (i.e. soft, medium, and hard, indicated by their color: light, medium, or dark gray). Start with the medium, see what you think, then collect the whole set! :-) Can be found on Amazon, and frequently at local music stores.
    Jan D.
    I posted a reply to this, but it doesn't seem to be here.

Thanks for that recommendation. I ordered a pack of a dozen medium.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information