Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If You Own More than One

Default If You Own More than One

If you own more than one ukulele, how many do you usually play per practice session?

It's rare that I just play one. After all, there are both reentrant and linear tunings to play.

But, I also often find myself wanting to play everything that I have, and if I have the time, that's a common thing to do.

I rarely play more than one ukulele per practice session. I have my instruments scattered through the house so I can pick up for a short practice wherever I am and have a few minutes.

I try never to let a practice session go longer than 30 before a break (15 would probably be better), with the option to link several sessions together. Even so, I don't usually switch instruments unless it's to a different kind (bass vs uke vs electric guitar vs acoustic guitar). Just jamming or rudiments while a TV is on may go longer, but I try to stay mindful for useful practice.

I definitely play more than one. When I had fewer instruments I would play each. I usually begin with an instrument that I haven't played in a few days. For a shorter practice session I may play with about 3 (of at least two different sizes) but up to 5. I'll play a song and then switch to a different ukulele and play it again, etc.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)

“I mean how silly is that. And we're talking about practice. I know I'm supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example. I know that and I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important. I do, I honestly do. But we're talking about practice, man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man?”

...I couldn’t resist. Like AI, I don’t have practice sessions. When I work on a song, I just start working on it off and on. Sometimes I’ll use more than one uke, but nothing is planned out.

John

I only ever play one uke per playing session. Lately I've been trying to grab a different one each time I choose to play. Other times I'll play the same uke for a couple of weeks and then change it up for another couple of weeks.
    Ohana CK-42R - all-solid concert, sinker redwood top, rosewood body, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG- solid/lam concert, spruce top, spalted flame maple body, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid concert, 5A acacia top sides and back, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)
    Romero ST - solid/lam concert, spruce top, mahogany body

I only play one uke at a time, but what I am practicing doesn't influence which one I play. I rotate between the re-entrant and the linear regularly so that I can justify in my mind having them both. However what I practice doesn't change regardless of which uke is scheduled for use. If I'm practicing, for example improvising with the B mixolydian, I'll play that on the fourth fret with my linear and eleventh on my re-entrant.

Some days it's one tenor I practice/play all day. Other times it's several.

Re-entrant for learning fingerstyle. Low-G is my preference for strumming. But I find some songs sound better on one instrument, some on others. Sometimes one instrument suits my mood better. Sometimes a different one does. Sometimes I practice on one because I haven't played it for a while.

I often prefer one uke above the others for a while, then change my mind and really like a different one. The feel, the sound, the way my fingers are feeling that day...

No hard and fast rule.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Usually one tuning but sometimes both. And I'd say 80% of the time I'll play any two of my ukes. I keep three out, but which three rotates every few weeks to month.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

I'll start out by saying that I'm not really structured when it comes to practice. I can't say that for me it is one or the other, I play whatever I feel like and if I feel like playing one and then another, I do that. If not, I just play one of them. All of mine are re-entrant tuned, so no difference. They all pretty much sound the same in that regard. But I generally just play one ukulele whenever I sit down to play.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

All of mine are tuned re-entrant. Some don't see action for weeks. To paraphrase Thelonious Monk, the reason I choose to pick one over another is because that’s the way I feel today.
    Martin C1K • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Thread Information