Season 384: Wilco!

Season 384. Submission 1. "Going Home" - Original by Turtledrum (Copyright Linda Opyr, 2019)

Thank you so much for hosting, Andy, and your super theme. I very much wanted to bring you a Wilco song and settled on "Secret of the Sea." I just couldn't get the song right and so shifted gear. I took your suggestion for original songs and "went home."

5 string tenor ukulele here

Here's another off the A.M. album. I like this tune. Again, an extremely quick work up here, but I could not get a semi grasp on the phrasing in one take, took me a few tries.

There is no doubt how important as a band Uncle Tupelo was, or how surreal it was in California when they were discovered by the punk rock scene. In any event, all of that was taking place when I was in the latter part of HS and the early part of College. Devastated when there were no more Uncle Tupelo offerings to be had, I was happy when Tweedy and Farrar both spun off into equally important bands. Regretfully, my ears like one of them far more than the other, at least aside from Mermaid Avenue and some of AM.
So...that said, I offer one of the greatest break-up songs ever written, obviously from Tweedy to Farrar.

Good Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning! The playlist is updated to here, or, at least I think it is. Let me know if I missed you. Thanks everyone for your contributions so far. Everything has been excellent. Keep them coming.

It's true... Nobody else can sing like me... or play like me either... or put inappropriate beats to a classic song.

Code:
[CENTER][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]I lived in a place called Okfuskee [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]And I had a little girl in a holler tree [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]I said, little girl, it's plain to see [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]Ain't nobody that can sing like me [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]She said it's hard for me to see [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]How one little boy got so ugly [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]Yes my little girly that might be [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]But there ain't nobody that can sing like me [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]Way over yonder in the minor key [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]There ain't nobody that can sing like me [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]We walked down by the Buckeye Creek [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]To see the frog eat the goggle-eye bee [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]To hear the west wind whistle to the east [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]There ain't nobody that can sing like me [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]Oh my little girly will you let me see [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]Way over yonder where the wind blows free [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]Nobody can see in our holler tree [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]And there ain't nobody that can sing like me [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]Her mama cut a switch from a cherry tree [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]And laid it on the she and me [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]It stung lots worse than a hive of bees [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]But there ain't nobody that can sing like me [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]Now I have walked a long long ways [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]And I still look back to my Tanglewood days [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]I've led lots of girls since then to stray [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]Saying ain't nobody that can sing like me [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]Ain't nobody that can sing like me[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Last edited:
So yesterday I played something from the Star Wars album, Andy said he was hoping I'd stumble upon either that or the A ghost is born one. Had a quick flick ghost is born today and this one grabbed me, I think because of the big Bowie vibes I'm getting from it.

This is quite the rabbit hole you've sent me down Andy

Here's a "Home" related original based on the small town where I grew up. I did this one in a burst of inspiration in about 2 hours last night. I've already re-written parts of it, adding syllables here and taking away there, added another 4 lines which I might use to replace one of these stanzas or just go ahead and add it in somewhere, and so forth. I'll plan on recording a new version for my originals channel at some point, but anyway, here's the first version.

The punch line is from a joke that we have around here: that any business that closes down will eventually re-open as a Mexican restaurant. It isn't much of a joke, because it's usually true.

That used to be the Western Auto
Where me and Daddy would go
To buy our fishin' lures and 22 shells
And a new rod & reel when I turned twelve, yeah

I loved to read their catalog
I wish I could go back somehow
But now that old Western Auto, well,
It's a Mexican restaurant now

Down at the intersection
Where the flashing stoplight glows
Was a Conoco a Gulf and a Mobile
And right there a Texaco

Now the Conoco is a beer barn
And the Mobile has closed down
The old Gulf station is a flower shop
And the Texaco is a Mexican restaurant now

They tore down the Hardin's drug store
But I guess that ain't so bad
'Cause they built a new library
But somehow I still feel sad

They closed all the peanut driers
A long, long, long time ago
They tore up the old railroad tracks
And built a park across the road

And the Dairy Queen up on the highway
That opened when I was eighteen
It's been there now for a long long time
And it's still a Dairy Queen

But the Phillips 66 where I rode my bike
To get a root beer for 35 cents
Well, they took out the pumps
And built a taqueria and I haven't seen a Phillips 66 since

That used to be the Western Auto
Where me and your Grandpa would go
To buy our fishin' lures and some 22 shells
And a new rod & reel when I turned twelve

Thanks for cool theme Andy!

Jon sent me this to play on. I'd never heard it before and just played improvised electric uke over the top. This is so different than any Wilco i've heard to date. Going to have to explore further :)

Ahoy and hello
The weather in Iceland has been exceptionally good, aside from today, so I have been working around the garden and house when I normally would be ukuleleing.
I have not listened to Wilco before so I checked out an album or two and wound up trying out "I am Trying to Break Your Heart"

Here's an original that came together pleasingly quickly last night. Started practicing it this morning and Nathan started getting a bit emotional which makes me think I'm on to something.

Bonus points to anyone who can fathom the reasoning behind the title.

I wanted to record this when we were at the ocean for a couple of days, but weather and noise and other things got in the way. So we got home and I could bring Felix to the party! Another from the Mermaid Avenue sessions. I really like the Buddy Holly vibe.

Happy Thursday to you all. The playlist has been updated to here, and what a list it is. Some outstanding originals that touch on a variety of ideas of home in addition to the collection of Wilco songs that span nearly their entire career. Still plenty of time left to get in another song or two.

Top Bottom