Season 384: Wilco!

Been a great season of discovery Andy, and in this case, rediscovery. I learned this one about a year ago for a season, and then promptly forgot about it. It's a little unrefined as I only had time for a couple of takes after a very long day. Thanks again for hosting Andy ~

Sorry I've been a little delinquent the past couple of days. WWC and the 1st round of debates have eaten up much of my spare time.

I have updated the playlist to here. If you haven't yet already go back and give Ryan's latest original a listen. The full version is up, replacing one that was cut short.

There are still a couple of days left in this season if you are still thinking about getting something in. Thanks again to everyone Who has done so already.

Almost Home

This song comes from a chord progression my oldest son Josiah came up with several years ago. He is always making up cool stuff, but seldom records it. I got this one, and almost immediately thought of the title, “Almost Home”.

It sat dormant for a few years, until back when my Dad was sick with his final illness, I took one of my boys to visit his cousin, and to see my Dad. We live about 400 miles away and don’t get there often.

On the way back home by myself, I was driving through western Pennsylvania enjoying the sun and fall leaves. When I stopped for a break I was missing my wife and kids at home, and missing friends and family I had just visited. The lyrics came pretty quickly.

I am glad to have an occasion to share it, and this video is the first use of my new Kala Longneck soprano.

Another great season with so much wonderful music and performances!

I have played Wilco in a bunch of other seasons, did you think I would skip my own dedicated to the band? A little something from 2011’s “The Whole Love”.

I listened to Summerteeth nonstop in the summer of 2002, because I was ~in love with~ a boy who I later learned was bad news. I have a hard time listening to Wilco now, but I love this song.

I wanted to join the club, and play this weeks "theme" song.
Well, I believe this is the 6th rendition this week...

I tried playing some guitar tabs on my Koa Tenor Fluke, strung low G. Luckily the tabs didn't use the 1st or 6th string of the guitar, so I could put a capo on the 2. fret and play it all on my four strings. Probably an octave higher than on guitar but whatever.

The tabs I found had not timing indication, so I had a hard time with this. Had to record one verse at a time, so a video would have looked weird. So only Audio this time.

I'm not that familiar with Wilco's music. I decided to check out their most recent material, described here...

Released as a tribute to Jeff Tweedy’s father, Robert L. Tweedy, the song was released shortly after violent clashes between white nationalists/neo-nazis and counter protesters in Charlottesville, VA in August of 2017. It was made available for download through Bandcamp with a donation to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Jeff Tweedy stated about the song, “My dad was named after a Civil War general, and he voted for Barack Obama twice. He used to say ‘If you know better, you can do better.’ America – we know better. We can do better.”

To date, Wilco's song has raised nearly $30,000 for the SPLC and for Life After Hate. Hurray, Wilco!

apologies Andy that "someone elses song" has disappeared.
i hope to make a new clip for it later today
and will repost as soon as I do.

Hello all. Sadly, This season of Wilco has come to an end. We had 51 songs, including nine originals from the funny and universal (Alan's "A Mexican Restaurant Now") to the more serious (Pa's "I Want to Find You a Home"). We had early Wilco, late Wilco, lot's of Wilco plays Woody, deep cuts, standards and more than a couple of the hosts personal favorites. I know they are not the biggest band in the world and was worried that the season might be a little too prescriptive, but I'm glad that so many of you found something that you wanted to play.

With that, I will leave you with one more cover of a Wilco tune (that we didn't hear this week), this from another artist who has made more than a few appearances during the Seasons. This happened during Friday, the 1st night of Wilco's Solid Sound Festival, part of which was given over to Wilco Karaoke, where 10 or so contest winners took turns on the stage singing a Wilco tune like they might in the car or the shower, but with Wilco as their backing band.

Thanks again for a fantastic week of music.

thanks for an awesome week Andy.
was real nice to dig in again on a band that i've loved.
here's that song by someone else.

Thanks Andy! I really enjoyed the season and the many discoveries this week brought for me ~

Well, I saw this way way late, but I checked the playlist and no one had done this one. I did this a while back, as you can see, but it's certainly my favorite Wilco song to play.

Top Bottom