Season 384: Wilco!

Desert Pavement

Rock Doctor
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hello fellow Seasonistas.

It is summer during an odd year and that means that Wilco is hosting their semi-annual weekend festival in the Berkshire Mountains of western Massachusetts. The 6th edition of this festival is this coming weekend, 28th-30th of June. As much as I would like to go I'm not. So you all will have to do instead.

Play me some Wilco. No side acts, no Jeff Tweedy solo, no songs that Wilco have covered... just Wilco (the collab albums with Billy Bragg are in bounds). Their discography can be found here.

If you would prefer to pen and play an original make it about home. Missing home, being home, how glad you are/were to be leaving home, etc. I grew up in Massachusetts and most of my immediate family are still just a short drive away from the festival location, so if I were going it would be more than just for the music.

:rulez:
The season begins at 00:00:01 on Sunday 23 June (Hawaii time) and runs until the stroke of midnight on Sunday 30 June.
No song limit
Multi tracking is great, but the ukulele must be prominent.
Collaborations are welcome.
Please watch and comment on as many of the videos as you are able. A kind word can go a long way.
The usual other rules, etc., etc.

Wilco have evolved a lot since their debut album, A.M., was released in 1995, and have played a few different styles, so hopefully you will all be able to find something you want to play.

Don't forget there are still something like 17 hours left in Geoff's songs of summer season.

Happy uking!

Playlist

Last edited:
Cool theme Andy! Looking forward to exploring some Wilco. While I am familiar with Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt, I must admit, i've never really explored Wilco and I couldn't name a single song they've done off the top of my head. But when I have heard them, I remember liking what I heard . . . . .

I swear this is true

Reading that Brian said we were running out of hosts, I thought "Hmm, it has been a while since I hosted.What theme could I suggest people write songs to? I know HOME!"

Then I wake up this morning to find that you are offering that theme to us songwriters!!! Now for some inspiration.

Here's one that Andy did brilliantly for one of my seasons last year. I really liked the song and it turns out it's pretty cool to play.

Bit of added isaac which seems to be a thing now.

From the first Mermaid Avenue.I didn't know the song but the title interested me....as it seems the subject matter interested Woody Guthrie.Cheers Andy.

Andy, thanks for including the Billy Bragg sessions! So many unearthed treasures ...

One of several Natalie Merchant sang.

And we're off to a cracking start. I didn't expect this Season to be out of the gate so quickly. The playlist link is now up on the OP. Thanks for your entires so far.

Reading that Brian said we were running out of hosts, I thought "Hmm, it has been a while since I hosted.What theme could I suggest people write songs to? I know HOME!"

Then I wake up this morning to find that you are offering that theme to us songwriters!!! Now for some inspiration.

Sorry Berni, I didn't mean to tread on your toes. There must have been some vibe in the cosmos that we were both tuned into for a moment. I'm looking forward to whatever the muse inspires.

I know nothing of Wilco, I've heard of them for decades now of course, but knew little to nothing about them. It's a funny world, people in the past thought I knew their early stuff cause it was considered alternative country. They're a rock band. They specifically say they're not a country band. They have a lot of influences of course, but they're really the opposite of say a Gram Parsons, who I've seen them compared to. Parsons had a lot of influences too, but he had a deep intense love of traditional country music. Wilco isn't that, but they probably dig Hank Williams. It's a very different approach. None of this is a criticism, just an observation. Anyhow, all that said never heard this song before, got a kick out of it. Listened to it 3 times then turned the recorder on and this was the first and only take. lol I figured with the grunge sound this had, that was the way to go here. Fun stuff!

Another one from the Billy Bragg & Wilco recordings, and another one which was sung by Natalie Merchant. Annoyingly, I am going to miss the rest of this week, as I set off tomorrow to be a steward at the Glastonbury Festival, so this is it from me...

Have a great time at Glastonbury, Steve!

Have a great time at Glastonbury, Steve!

Thanks, I will do my best. Until I get my shift details, I don't know what I will see and what I will miss, but to make certain people here jealous, my "to see" list includes Nick Lowe, Hawkwind, Frank Turner, & Billy Bragg. Oh, and Kylie...

Thanks, I will do my best. Until I get my shift details, I don't know what I will see and what I will miss, but to make certain people here jealous, my "to see" list includes Nick Lowe, Hawkwind, Frank Turner, & Billy Bragg. Oh, and Kylie...

My first gig was Kylie in Sydney in 2002!

Top Bottom