UU Is Most Definitely A Powerhouse Price Influencer

Neal

Reaction score
Not that it’s a bad thing. Although there are a few brands I’ve had the pleasure of playing that are most definitely not worth the prices I’ve seen sold for here, and on eBay. Not asked, sold.

i know, you may say that if they sold for it, then it’s worth it, and that’s a valid opinion too. I guess I’m saying that in coming years, some folks are going to be sorely disappointed, but that’s just my own opinion/prediction. There are also a few terribly underrated brands as well, and that’s pretty good for the consumer.

i will NOT name brands. Just putting it out for discussion.

This place can certainly be a powerhouse, it takes just a few of the members here to wildly influence prices and the manner in which it takes place is, in this cynic’s viewpoint, masterful. True capitalism, with that “folksy” feel sometimes.

No, not selling anything, or buying anything, I just like to stop by and check the marketplace to see what’s for sale. It can be very edifying to read the ads.

Anyway, Hi!

Endorsed, Bill.

If your only reason to visit is to check the Marketplace, good on you. There’s a lot more going on here. It’s why I support UU.

You’re right, plus it’s none of my business.

Not that it’s a bad thing. Although there are a few brands I’ve had the pleasure of playing that are most definitely not worth the prices I’ve seen sold for here, and on eBay. Not asked, sold.

i know, you may say that if they sold for it, then it’s worth it, and that’s a valid opinion too. I guess I’m saying that in coming years, some folks are going to be sorely disappointed, but that’s just my own opinion/prediction. There are also a few terribly underrated brands as well, and that’s pretty good for the consumer.

This place can certainly be a powerhouse, it takes just a few of the members here to wildly influence prices and the manner in which it takes place is, in this cynic’s viewpoint, masterful. True capitalism, with that “folksy” feel sometimes.

No, not selling anything, or buying anything, I just like to stop by and check the marketplace to see what’s for sale. It can be very edifying to read the ads.

Anyway, Hi!

I guess I don't understand the point you are trying to make. Is it that many of the people on this site adopt an "aw shucks" persona in order to manipulate gullible and unsure sellers to offer their instruments for less than market value? Or inflate the prices on instruments they try to sell? Or exaggerate the qualities of an instrument to create a false picture of what the instrument is really like? For the same purpose?

People just aren't powerful influencers on this site. That they can manipulate prices and manipulate demand. Sure, some people's opinions are respected a little more than others because they are longtime contributors and seem to know what they are talking about. But it is not as though opinions and comments are expressed in a vacuum.

Many of the instruments list in this forum are also listed elsewhere. And there are certainly dozens, if not hundreds of of sources for reviews, instruments for sale and sound files other places, not to mention friends, club members to ask their opinions.

In my experience, most of the people I have bought from have been upfront and honest about the items and offer them at what they think is a fair and reasonable price. If I don't think it is reasonable or the item is too rich for my budget, I am free to move on.

I think your cynicism is indeed misplaced. But I'm just a gullible rube who don't know no better. And if you aren't interested in buying or selling, there are many other aspects of the forums for other avenues of knowledge or fellowship.

Last edited:
True capitalism is Wells Fargo or ExxonMobil. On the capitalist continuum, ukuleles are in the neighborhood of heirloom vegetables and spinning wheels.

What a peculiar post!

I for one, don't even look at the sales/wants on here, I came here to be a part of a uke forum community, & it has turned out to be a great place for that.

My main focus is on The Seasons challenges, but whilst here, I also read, & reply to, all the other people, because they too have an interest in ukes of all sorts.

I'm also a member of other music related forums, (harmonicas, flutes, & whistles), for the same reasons - a common interest, & somewhere to chat to like minded folk.

(I'm also on computer FOSS related forums too.)

For such a dynamic powerhouse price influencer, it’s pretty sluggish :rolleyes:

i know, you may say that if they sold for it, then it’s worth it, and that’s a valid opinion too.

"Worth" is very hard to define. Just because someone pays a certain price, that doesn't set the worth of the item. Some people have lots of excess money, and some have specific desires, where "money is no object."

Our Marketplace is only one place selling ukes, and certainly not the largest. I think Reverb could claim that title. As sellers check the prices that similar items have sold for, they set their prices accordingly. I agree that uke prices are on their way up. I think this is because of increasing popularity, good quality, and unique designs. I've bought several simply because I liked the look. The Bonanza Oreo is one.

When I'm buying, price is the first thing I consider. If the price is too high for what I'm considering, I move on to something else. I've paid more than I should have for certain ukes, but I liked them, and I wanted them.

I'm not understanding the point of the original thread so my response might not be appropriate, but I don't think that UU has that much influence on the market. I think that as a group we influence each other. I mean, some of us are here every day making our contributions to each other, but when it comes to the ukulele community as a whole, we are but a drop in the bucket. In my travels I've not run across more than a few people who come to UU regularly and the majority who do not are not necessarily in line with the group think here. So I don't think that we here a force to be reckoned with. Among our group, well we are like any group. We are brought together because we share similar interests and opinions, not the other way around.

True capitalism is Wells Fargo or ExxonMobil. On the capitalist continuum, ukuleles are in the neighborhood of heirloom vegetables and spinning wheels.

I've actually only got 2 ukuleles that cost more than my spinning wheels - one new, one used. Even my custom uke cost less than some of my spinning wheels.

Anyway, Hi!

Do you have any advice for those using the marketplace who want to buy and sell ukes for a reasonable price? What is it that you find educational about the posts you mention?

I’m all for debate and discussion, but I can’t help but feel like this OP is sufficiently vague that it may as well be a non-starter for a conversation about the more complex market forces around used ukuleles.

As for not naming brands, again, this seems like an arbitrary thing to not do. You’re entitled to your opinion, though, frankly hearing you have some but are not willing to share them seems pretty self-serving. I for one would love to know what others think are under or overvalued brands, just to have the outside perspective and to hear the “why” behind them.

For example, I will never purchase another Kala uke or accessory so long as I live. Not because they make poor ukuleles, but because of a deeply personal experience that left me feeling some major resentment. I’ve worked through it, but I still can’t imagine giving the company any more of my money.

Sorry for not sticking to the topic here, but I am still scratching my head, wondering what the point of the thread is, as the thread’s title and the OP seem to be talking about different things. Any clarity from the OP would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I only had one, a Rick Reeves that I sold for twice what I paid for it--and the buyer got a very good deal. I don't spin anymore. But I have way more than one ukulele.

I've actually only got 2 ukuleles that cost more than my spinning wheels - one new, one used. Even my custom uke cost less than some of my spinning wheels.

As for not naming brands, again, this seems like an arbitrary thing to not do. You’re entitled to your opinion, though, frankly hearing you have some but are not willing to share them seems pretty self-serving. I for one would love to know what others think are under or overvalued brands, just to have the outside perspective and to hear the “why” behind them.

For example, I will never purchase another Kala uke or accessory so long as I live. Not because they make poor ukuleles, but because of a deeply personal experience that left me feeling some major resentment. I’ve worked through it, but I still can’t imagine giving the company any more of my money.

Sorry for not sticking to the topic here, but I am still scratching my head, wondering what the point of the thread is, as the thread’s title and the OP seem to be talking about different things. Any clarity from the OP would be much appreciated.

Sorry about your Kala experience, but I'll jump in with my opinion that Kala Elite are undervalued, due entirely to their decision to not have a different name for the headstock.

Hmm, this is an interesting thread. I don't get too wrapped up in the marketplace, except to check out photos on the odd one that piques my interest.

A few (non-price) areas we might have a bit of influence is the opportunity to give Mimmo feedback on Aquila strings, and we do have the opportunity to be in direct contact with the luthiers who hang out on this forum, so they see what we say, whether it has any influence on them, who knows?

Some people comment on how some builder should be asking more money for their ukuleles, so that could drive up the price a bit when they read that. But I'm talking small builders, not big companies. Lately, I think the chatter about Ken Timms has encouraged bidding as the buyers were from this forum.

I've bought and sold a lot of ukes over the years through the UU Marketplace ( 40 or 50?), and I can honestly say that I've never made a profit. On a couple of occasions I've come close to breaking even. I enjoy trying out different instruments, and then pass them on so I can try something else.
I think the OP is implying that in his/her opinion that we will be sorely disappointed when the ukulele market crashes and we suffer a financial loss. Ok, I'm alright with that. As I've said, I've enjoyed trying out many different ukes, also making a number of new friends and being part of this community. I've never thought of it in terms of a financial investment or a manipulation of the larger dollars and cents marketplace.

I almost don't know what to say.
We here have some influence, mostly positive, on one another.
But none on people who don't come here, I mean as far as pricing goes.
I think sites like Got A Ukulele have more influence on the market than we do.
After all, aren't most of us Baz review watchers?

I play with two ukulele groups, one with 50-60 members, the other with 20-30. I’d wager there are only two of us that know anything about UU. A majority of the people in those groups have never heard of HMS, Mim, Uke Republic, Flea Market, or Reverb. Probably half of them know very little about K brand or luthier built ukuleles. I agree with those that say that UU members influence each other. Without reviews by UU members and Barry Maz, and availability at HMS, I never would have heard of or owned an aNueNue Moon Bird. In that way, we do influence ukulele sales, but not really beyond our UU universe.

I almost don't know what to say.
We here have some influence, mostly positive, on one another.
But none on people who don't come here, I mean as far as pricing goes.
I think sites like Got A Ukulele have more influence on the market than we do.
After all, aren't most of us Baz review watchers?

I think the influence from UUers would be seen in driving up the price of some auctions, such as the Timms, whose prices do seem to have increased from the UU bids. As OP stated in other posts, paraphrasing, (older Martins, which these Timms are supposed to emulate the sound of, can be purchased for considerably less than the price of these auctions). All groups can heavily influence prices of some items when sufficient numbers of their members enter auctions.

Top Bottom