Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UU Is Most Definitely A Powerhouse Price Influencer

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    True capitalism is Wells Fargo or ExxonMobil. On the capitalist continuum, ukuleles are in the neighborhood of heirloom vegetables and spinning wheels.
    I've actually only got 2 ukuleles that cost more than my spinning wheels - one new, one used. Even my custom uke cost less than some of my spinning wheels.
    Donaldson Kumalae-style soprano * Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Not that it’s a bad thing. Although there are a few brands I’ve had the pleasure of playing that are most definitely not worth the prices I’ve seen sold for here, and on eBay. Not asked, sold.

i know, you may say that if they sold for it, then it’s worth it, and that’s a valid opinion too. I guess I’m saying that in coming years, some folks are going to be sorely disappointed, but that’s just my own opinion/prediction. There are also a few terribly underrated brands as well, and that’s pretty good for the consumer.

i will NOT name brands. Just putting it out for discussion.

This place can certainly be a powerhouse, it takes just a few of the members here to wildly influence prices and the manner in which it takes place is, in this cynic’s viewpoint, masterful. True capitalism, with that “folksy” feel sometimes.

No, not selling anything, or buying anything, I just like to stop by and check the marketplace to see what’s for sale. It can be very edifying to read the ads.

Anyway, Hi!
    Do you have any advice for those using the marketplace who want to buy and sell ukes for a reasonable price? What is it that you find educational about the posts you mention?

I’m all for debate and discussion, but I can’t help but feel like this OP is sufficiently vague that it may as well be a non-starter for a conversation about the more complex market forces around used ukuleles.

As for not naming brands, again, this seems like an arbitrary thing to not do. You’re entitled to your opinion, though, frankly hearing you have some but are not willing to share them seems pretty self-serving. I for one would love to know what others think are under or overvalued brands, just to have the outside perspective and to hear the “why” behind them.

For example, I will never purchase another Kala uke or accessory so long as I live. Not because they make poor ukuleles, but because of a deeply personal experience that left me feeling some major resentment. I’ve worked through it, but I still can’t imagine giving the company any more of my money.

Sorry for not sticking to the topic here, but I am still scratching my head, wondering what the point of the thread is, as the thread’s title and the OP seem to be talking about different things. Any clarity from the OP would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by YogiTom; 06-23-2019 at 04:12 AM.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A ó Ď10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano ó Ď60s Kamaka ĎKeikií Soprano ó Ď70s Kamaka White Label Soprano ó Blue Frog Soprano ó aNueNue Moon Bird US200 ó Ohana SK-30L ó Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) ó Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor ó Ď50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

I only had one, a Rick Reeves that I sold for twice what I paid for it--and the buyer got a very good deal. I don't spin anymore. But I have way more than one ukulele.

Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post
    I've actually only got 2 ukuleles that cost more than my spinning wheels - one new, one used. Even my custom uke cost less than some of my spinning wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by YogiTom View Post
    As for not naming brands, again, this seems like an arbitrary thing to not do. You’re entitled to your opinion, though, frankly hearing you have some but are not willing to share them seems pretty self-serving. I for one would love to know what others think are under or overvalued brands, just to have the outside perspective and to hear the “why” behind them.

For example, I will never purchase another Kala uke or accessory so long as I live. Not because they make poor ukuleles, but because of a deeply personal experience that left me feeling some major resentment. I’ve worked through it, but I still can’t imagine giving the company any more of my money.

Sorry for not sticking to the topic here, but I am still scratching my head, wondering what the point of the thread is, as the thread’s title and the OP seem to be talking about different things. Any clarity from the OP would be much appreciated.
    Sorry about your Kala experience, but I'll jump in with my opinion that Kala Elite are undervalued, due entirely to their decision to not have a different name for the headstock.

Hmm, this is an interesting thread. I don't get too wrapped up in the marketplace, except to check out photos on the odd one that piques my interest.

A few (non-price) areas we might have a bit of influence is the opportunity to give Mimmo feedback on Aquila strings, and we do have the opportunity to be in direct contact with the luthiers who hang out on this forum, so they see what we say, whether it has any influence on them, who knows?

Some people comment on how some builder should be asking more money for their ukuleles, so that could drive up the price a bit when they read that. But I'm talking small builders, not big companies. Lately, I think the chatter about Ken Timms has encouraged bidding as the buyers were from this forum.
    Glenn

A few brands seem to make a lot of sales on their looks, not on their sound.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

I've bought and sold a lot of ukes over the years through the UU Marketplace ( 40 or 50?), and I can honestly say that I've never made a profit. On a couple of occasions I've come close to breaking even. I enjoy trying out different instruments, and then pass them on so I can try something else.
    I think the OP is implying that in his/her opinion that we will be sorely disappointed when the ukulele market crashes and we suffer a financial loss. Ok, I'm alright with that. As I've said, I've enjoyed trying out many different ukes, also making a number of new friends and being part of this community. I've never thought of it in terms of a financial investment or a manipulation of the larger dollars and cents marketplace.

I almost don't know what to say.
    We here have some influence, mostly positive, on one another.
    But none on people who don't come here, I mean as far as pricing goes.
    I think sites like Got A Ukulele have more influence on the market than we do.
    After all, aren't most of us Baz review watchers?
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I play with two ukulele groups, one with 50-60 members, the other with 20-30. I’d wager there are only two of us that know anything about UU. A majority of the people in those groups have never heard of HMS, Mim, Uke Republic, Flea Market, or Reverb. Probably half of them know very little about K brand or luthier built ukuleles. I agree with those that say that UU members influence each other. Without reviews by UU members and Barry Maz, and availability at HMS, I never would have heard of or owned an aNueNue Moon Bird. In that way, we do influence ukulele sales, but not really beyond our UU universe.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    KoAloha Special Issue longneck soprano - Port Orford Cedar & Koa - circa 2015
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood -2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I almost don't know what to say.
    We here have some influence, mostly positive, on one another.
    But none on people who don't come here, I mean as far as pricing goes.
    I think sites like Got A Ukulele have more influence on the market than we do.
    After all, aren't most of us Baz review watchers?
    I think the influence from UUers would be seen in driving up the price of some auctions, such as the Timms, whose prices do seem to have increased from the UU bids. As OP stated in other posts, paraphrasing, (older Martins, which these Timms are supposed to emulate the sound of, can be purchased for considerably less than the price of these auctions). All groups can heavily influence prices of some items when sufficient numbers of their members enter auctions.

Thread Information