Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fifths tuning revisited

I could be talking through my hat, but I think I'd be tempted to try a set of Thomastick fiddle strings.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I put the Aquila CGDA on set on my Tenor and one set on my Concert. It has been a year and working well so far.
    A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I could be talking through my hat, but I think I'd be tempted to try a set of Thomastick fiddle strings.
    Interesting thought. I don't really know what I'm talking about either, but from my brief research, tension of violin strings is a LOT higher than soprano ukulele and violin is shorter scale. Again, I could definitely be wrong, but that doesn't sound like it would work at all.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Kala KA-GL-Koa, G EFS, O Warm/Worth B

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Few years back when I had nothing else on hand for my low C, I tried putting one of my viola C strings on a tenor (can't remember what, but another brand than Thomastk), and it lasted less than a week before the windings started unwinding. They're really made too delicately for instruments with frets.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Well, a friend who plays fiddle primarily but occasionally plays uke knew I was gonna retry fifth tuning on my uke and had an extra set of aquilas on hand. She bought them thinking she’d try them on her one and only uke but then changed her mind. She has a lovely voice and really likes strumming and singing and likes the close harmony of tradition uke tuning. So, she gave the set at a jam yesterday to try again.

Well, I wouldn’t have bought them again myself, after having two unsuccessful attempts but for free, OK. I started with the e and went super slowly. Got it up to pitch without snapping, yay! The tension seems pretty darn high. Don’t love the sound but not terrible. So I continued on with the a and d. I left my low G Fremont soloist on. Results…
    meh.
    Good for quiet “mando” practice or for easy melody line and embellishments when playing with a group of strummers. I prefer the feel and sound of fluorocarbon but I’ll keep these on until the e breaks. Then will try other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapyang View Post
    I put the Aquila CGDA on set on my Tenor and one set on my Concert. It has been a year and working well so far.
    I just want to confirm that I tuned it correctly, with the high A at the same pitch as the A on a regular ukulele. And the low C a whopping octave lower than the C on a regular uke? It just feels so floppy that I'm not sure.

wiggy, thanks for the link.

merlin666, I don’t think that cgda is recommended on concert scale. I think only tenor is good with that tuning. Smaller ukes would do better in gdae. Baritones are better in one octave down cgda (I think tho that this can be a bit floppy).

I’m not crazy about the Aquila fifths strings. First, I prefer the feel and sound of fluorocarbon. Second, I do also agree that the tension isn’t quite right on the Aquila set; it’s too tight on dae (I don’t use the g, I kept on my low g Fremont soloist).

I’m really enjoying the fifths tuning on my soprano and am gonna switch to the savarez singles on my next string change. They are already in my cart.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyf View Post
    Baritones are better in one octave down cgda (I think tho that this can be a bit floppy).
    My baritone tunes GDAE just fine one octave down from a mandolin/fiddle. The DAE strings are the original D, G and E strings from the "normal" set of baritone strings (DGBE), so no tension issues there, the replacement G bass string is a guitar low E string. When fretted at the third fret on a guitar the E string plays G (bet you knew that) and the string length of a baritone ukulele is very similar to a guitar with a capo on the third fret, so again, no tension issues

YMMV
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyf View Post
    wiggy, thanks for the link.

merlin666, I don’t think that cgda is recommended on concert scale. I think only tenor is good with that tuning. Smaller ukes would do better in gdae. Baritones are better in one octave down cgda (I think tho that this can be a bit floppy).

I’m not crazy about the Aquila fifths strings. First, I prefer the feel and sound of fluorocarbon. Second, I do also agree that the tension isn’t quite right on the Aquila set; it’s too tight on dae (I don’t use the g, I kept on my low g Fremont soloist).

I’m really enjoying the fifths tuning on my soprano and am gonna switch to the savarez singles on my next string change. They are already in my cart.
    Thanks. I had a second concert ordered from my luthier and was interested in fifths tuning as a learning experience so asked him to put the Aquila set on. But now I don't really use it and also dislike the wound strings. I think I will just wear them down and then go back to regular tuning and decide if I sell one of the concerts.

Thread Information