ZT Ukuleles Baritone - Review

bazmaz

Reaction score
The sound hole placement is something that I can imagine myself to mess up with strumming. Of course not when being aware it is there, but just in general.

Just a thought, cannot say how it is when I have not tried one.

I can't say it interfered with my playing - on either this or the tenor to be honest.

What I do like about them is how they are strengthened on the inside edge. Nothing I like less than unusual / delicate sound hole shapes just cut into thin wood with no support.

Do you feel that the placement of the sound hole makes any real difference in the sound? Would it sound very different if it had the sound hole in the usual place? I guess it's impossible to know, but I am wondering if you have any thoughts on that. I've wondered whether putting the sound hole in an unusual location, like the ZT, is more of a style thing than a sound thing.

Zachary talked to me about that in depth. He didn’t just put them there for fun. He tested posoptions. He prefers it there as it allows a maximum amount of soundboard to vibrate. What a lot of people misunderstand is that the sound hole isn’t actually about sound - that comes from the soundboard. The hole is an air passage to allow air in and out of the ukulele and hence allow the top to vibrate fully and freely.

He rightly points out that people only slap them in usual position for no other reason other than ‘that’s where they go’

Hi Baz, if you take your impartial review hat off for a mo could you say if you were looking to buy a baritone tomorrow would you go for the ZT or the Pono you've reviewed previously? I can compare the scores to find out how they stack up as quality instruments, I'm interested in your personal feeling on them!

Zachary talked to me about that in depth. He didn’t just put them there for fun. He tested posoptions. He prefers it there as it allows a maximum amount of soundboard to vibrate. What a lot of people misunderstand is that the sound hole isn’t actually about sound - that comes from the soundboard. The hole is an air passage to allow air in and out of the ukulele and hence allow the top to vibrate fully and freely.

He rightly points out that people only slap them in usual position for no other reason other than ‘that’s where they go’

Some good points in that he has. Maybe someday we find out what is better. The cutaway though, while many people want that and goes a somewhat maybe against that principle, but how much those possible vibrations there add if any we can only guess. What matters is his instruments sound good. And the hole in trad place might indeed, perhaps, limit the upper frequencies.

Thanks Bazmaz. Very interesting to know. It certainly sounded very good in your review.

Hi Baz, if you take your impartial review hat off for a mo could you say if you were looking to buy a baritone tomorrow would you go for the ZT or the Pono you've reviewed previously? I can compare the scores to find out how they stack up as quality instruments, I'm interested in your personal feeling on them!

I never like comparing, as it tends to come across as me dismissing the one I wouldn’t choose. The Pono is excellent, but I’d pick this in a heartbeat. Fuller sound with more range. Super comfortable and terrific looks.

How much access does that cutaway give? I know that's a weird question but I have been spoiled by my Rob Collins custom tenor which allows me to fingerpick and form chords all the way up to the 19th fret.

I can fret to the top on this one

Baz,

Thanks once again for this lovely review of our Baritone Ukulele.

For those just seeing this review now, it's worth noting that all of our Uke's are now available with a MiSi pickup as an option thanks to Baz's suggestion.

We also have three completely new and different ukuleles due to be released over the coming months.....Exciting!!!

Jason

I'm conscious I simply don't have enough baritone reviews on my site - nice to redress the balance a bit with a ukulele like this

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2019/06/zt-baritone-ukulele-review.html

Top Bottom