Paul Summers Ukulele Info Wanted

Wrightstuff

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I recently picked up this ukulele at an auctionF55CDC1D-7DFD-4AFD-91BE-3F1545110D87.jpgBF036954-38FF-44F6-880C-38BB6B6D7FA3.jpgD269DB1D-ADDD-45DD-B546-D7FA29E44CFD.jpg5B7D1E97-F65C-4804-B729-ADB44ADDFCA7.jpg29B248F4-5D2E-4896-B8CC-4316B3B90CAF.jpg. Knowing nothing about these I decided to look for it for a forum and alas...
It seems to be in very good shape except for a split on the bottom and the artwork is amazing.
Any info such as vintage, value, best place to sell, etc would be much appreciated!
Thank you! Bert

Sorry not sure why these pics are turned this way and that. Hopefully you can make sense of them.CB190ED3-DF20-4525-8C1F-1B5B5A02BF0E.jpgBD766622-78CC-4B3C-8FDC-B7604D662CFA.jpg

The following, from Lardy's Ukulele Database, likely answers your question about vintage:

"Sam Chang was a Hawaiian luthier/producer working from the 1920's through to the 1940's. He started out working for Kamaka, but having learned the art he started making his own as well, eventually leaving Kamaka and setting up on his own. He liked the Aloha and Hawaiian crest idea, (like the Aloha Mfg.Co.) too, and used his own version on a lot of his Ukuleles though he often put his name on the back. He is also the maker for a lot of the Ukuleles branded by the Summers Brothers however he did make Ukuleles for other retailers, like Bergstrom, as well.

The Summers brothers, Paul and Harold, were not makers but they had the Ukulele concession in the Royal Hawaiian and Moana hotels, (the two best), during the 20's to 40's (Paul was also a member of the "Royal Hawaiians" a famous Hawaiian music band of the time who worked out of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, did lots of radio broadcasts across mainland America and was led by Harry Owens). They gave lessons and sold a number of other makers Ukuleles in these shops including some branded with the hotel name, (famously the Hawaiian Mahogany Co. "Royal Hawaiian"), but they also branded their own, usually made by Sam Chang, either as Paul Summers, Harold Summers or Summers Bros. The Waikiki Ukulele."

Mike

Very nice. The artwork alone would make me want it.

The artwork is amazing. You should make a post of your most unusual and artistic ukes. I'm guessing you have some gems hidden away.

Thank you to everyone again. I will list this on eBay tonight. If anyone would like to message me before then, feel free.
Bert

Top Bottom