Looking for non-chinese made ukulele

Are Flight and Ortega ukuleles build in Europe?
I can't find info about the actual production on their Web pages. It seems like Ortega shows of their guitar workshop in pictures, but I see no ukes in those pictures. Hence I am unsurden if they are made the same place.

Anyway, I have both Chinese, USA and Romanian build ukuleles. I am not too picky.

My Flight uke has a Made in China sticker on the back.

Lehua is a line designed by a famous Hawaiian builder and they are made in Portugal. The fellow who is the brains behind the creation lives in Southern California. I am a dealer in Oregon.

I rather support any other country than China when ever i can because everything is made in there these days... Not because of the quality.

Plus one for the above, and though the actions of some are more concerning than others it applies to other countries too.

Whilst I have liked those Chinese people that I have met I am also very concerned about the actions of the Chinese Government. Many of us in the western world have long enjoyed the benefits of inexpensive goods from China, at some point we will discover that in supporting the Chinese economy and state we have significantly disadvantaged our own future and our own countries.

President Trump is not universally popular but IMHO one good thing that he has done is to challenge the import of Chinese goods, he appears to recognise the adverse effect that trade with China can have. I would be glad to see American and European companies moving their manufacturing out of China.

Last edited:
Plus one for the above, and though the actions of some are more concerning than others it applies to other countries too.

Whilst I have liked those Chinese people that I have met I am also very concerned about the actions of the Chinese Government. Many of us in the western world have long enjoyed the benefits of inexpensive goods from China, at some point we will discover that in supporting the Chinese economy and state we have significantly disadvantaged our own future and our own countries.

President Trump is not universally popular but IMHO one good thing that he has done is to challenge the import of Chinese goods, he appears to recognise the adverse effect that trade with China can have. I would be glad to see American and European companies moving their manufacturing out of China.

Again, the focus on China is a pretty narrow view of geopolitics.

I would argue that our dependence on fossil fuels, purchased from a plethora of other countries with deplorable human rights records is far more problematic. Without oil, we would have no plastics, which would put manufacturers of cheap goods (like in China) out of business, to say nothing of the environmental impact getting rid of plastics would have.

And then the obvious, burning fossil fuels for energy, also not sustainable in any capacity. President Drumpf also claims there is such a thing as “clean coal”, which is the fever dream of rich energy executives who care little for the impact their decisions to maintain a dying and dirty industry at the expense of the health and lives of workers who have to deal with unsafe working conditions.

As for producing things domestically vs abroad, or specifically China, the idea that we can help our economy by isolating ourselves from global trade is ludicrous. Please provide any historical example that shows isolationism as an effective strategy for economic growth before claiming its inherent benefits. I notice your location is the U.K...how is Brexit working out for you?

Lastly, have you considered that the average American likely could not afford to buy most of the things in our modern lives without “cheap imports”? Putting aside the argument that consumerism is not a good thing for our planet, the idea that our economy would benefit from domestic production of things like lightbulb filaments, just as an example, and that it would help drive down costs or help add jobs to the economy is a logical fallacy. Companies manufacture parts more cheaply elsewhere and import them for final assembly here, allowing to keep costs down. Plus, the future jobs won’t be producers but repair techs for the machines that will automate many processes and tasks for factory workers. So I would argue we would be better served spending the money we’re wasting giving our farmers handouts due to our tariff war with China on funding trade schools and alternatives to traditional college. Or spending it on our student debt crisis, universal healthcare, affordable housing, feeding our hungry...the list goes on and on.

Yes, China is a “bad actor” in many areas. Yes, we rely on their cheap goods to produce things that are affordable. But nothing happens in a vacuum and we are living in a global era, where we cannot help but work together if we’re ever going to survive this century.

I don’t want any of this to come off personally, as that is not my intention. I just can’t sit by and listen to arguments that aren’t based in reality or that won’t consider the possibility that things are more complicated than “China is bad, We’re good”. It’s that kind of thinking that allows for the wholesale justification for things like genocide or war.

Last edited:
The OP simply wishes to make a choice. They don't have to justify that choice. I happily buy Chinese goods, and own several Chinese made ukuleles. That is my choice, and I am comfortable with it.

John Colter.

Top Bottom