Looking for non-chinese made ukulele

Ukkeli

Reaction score
Hello, i am looking for concert ukulele under 250€ (300$) that has been produced somewhere else than in China. Any suggestions? Thanx

Go to eBay and search Bruce Wei, his work is done in Vietnam, as does Pepe Romero.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

There are plenty options.
Many are slightly above or close to your limit.

Bruko ukuleles are made in German. Their concerts are around 300 euro though.

The Magic Fluke company in the US makes som really nice sounding ukuleles with unorthodox shapes. You have to be prepared for some plastic parts though, and a wooden fretboard is not within your price range. At Justecordes.fr they have a few of them.

The Ponos are made in Indonesia, but are well above your price range, closer to 400 euro.

All the Hawaiian brands are obviously not made in China, but the are pricy.

Last edited:
As other suggested, a lot of options out there for “not made in China”.

If you’re truly set on avoiding ukes constructed in China, you’ll want to avoid the more reasonably priced Kala and Ohana ukes.

The above said, those are some great ukuleles. The “made in China” stigma of inferior quality products is frankly a bit of a nationalistic piece of BS in my book. I don’t meant to judge your reasoning for avoiding ukes built in China, but did feel compelled to speak up against the antiquated idea of all Chinese-made things being of low quality.

I think that the Kanilea Islanders are not made in China, and sometimes you can find a nice one on sale under $250. Best strategy to get good value uke is to wait until new models come out and old stock is dumped at huge discount.

Bonanza ukuleles.

I'm selling an American-made Kala Elite all-koa tenor.

Brüko ukulele ordered, thanx UkingViking. I rather support any other country than China when ever i can because everything is made in there these days... Not because of the quality.

I hope you will like it.

I have to admit that I never had one myself.
Tried a tenor in a music shop once, which sounded good.
And their soprano got a good review on GotaUkulele.

Mostly suggested it because you quoted a price in Euros, so I imagined the idea of a European build ukulele might be something you were interested in.

Brüko ukulele ordered, thanx UkingViking. I rather support any other country than China when ever i can because everything is made in there these days... Not because of the quality.

Congrats these are very intriguing instruments though I never played one. Anyone who believes in things like climate changes, human rights, labour rights, intellectual property, etc. should not pay money for Chinese products.

Congrats these are very intriguing instruments though I never played one. Anyone who believes in things like climate changes, human rights, labour rights, intellectual property, etc. should not pay money for Chinese products.

By that logic, I would argue we shouldn’t buy anything from anywhere, as these problems plague every nation. China doesn’t have a monopoly on these issues.

I realize China produces a lot of things, and likely has a larger footprint than other countries due to population, but this kind of argument strikes me as throwing stones while living in a glass house. It is incumbent on all of us to curb our impact on the planet, and I will concede that cutting down on purchases is a great place to start.

I also realize I’m not perfect, and have a long way to go in reducing my personal impact. And I don’t disagree that these are worthy things to strive for, and using the power of our wallets as consumers seems like the best/quickest way to influence change. Just get a little irked seeing the “pass the blame” game.

Edit: sorry for hijacking the thread...I hope the OP will post a NUD of their new Brüko when it arrives!

Last edited:
Hello, i am looking for concert ukulele under 250€ (300$) that has been produced somewhere else than in China. Any suggestions? Thanx

Hi you could let us know which countries you would prefer for the manufacture of your ukulele. There are a number of European manufacturers - Flight, Ortega, Bruko, and there are additional Asian (non - Chinese) manufacturers which I don't think we're listed including Anuenue and Farida. Kiwaya is Japanese. You may also be able to find small Luthiers who could fit your price point.
Good Luck with your search.

If those are your concerns, put the US on your list too.

For <$300?? Where do I get in line?! :p

If those are your concerns, put the US on your list too.

Right. Unless you know the manufacturer is actually involved in these abuses, then making a statement is fine but it will have zero impact on the offending government.

Right. Unless you know the manufacturer is actually involved in these abuses, then making a statement is fine but it will have zero impact on the offending government.

Agreed, but again, very sorry to have hijacked this into a geopolitical discussion rather than a simple answer to the OP. :D

Hi you could let us know which countries you would prefer for the manufacture of your ukulele. There are a number of European manufacturers - Flight, Ortega, Bruko, and there are additional Asian (non - Chinese) manufacturers which I don't think we're listed including Anuenue and Farida. Kiwaya is Japanese. You may also be able to find small Luthiers who could fit your price point.
Good Luck with your search.

Are Flight and Ortega ukuleles build in Europe?
I can't find info about the actual production on their Web pages. It seems like Ortega shows of their guitar workshop in pictures, but I see no ukes in those pictures. Hence I am unsurden if they are made the same place.

Anyway, I have both Chinese, USA and Romanian build ukuleles. I am not too picky.

Bruko is a good choice - enjoy it. I have a maple soprano of theirs with Living Waters strings and really like it.

Top Bottom