How to remove dust and other imperfections in a finish

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
This technique is not new, and I've been using it for close to 40 years, but it's amazing how many people (even pro spray painters) are unaware of it.

The reason you want to do this instead of using a hard block and sand paper is that for one, a block will never cut the high spot down level without also taking material on either side of the dust or run. In high gloss finishes it's imediately evident.

The second reason is often a dust speck will have a very hard piece of junk in it. When you attempt to sand it out level often that piece will break free and roll with the sanding block and really deeply scratch the surface. Much like sanding with far too coarse of paper.

Thanks you for that Allen. I use that method for drop fills but had not thought to use it for dust specks and the like.
Love your work!!

Yes, it works great for that. Also for runs.

I showed this technique to a spray painter I was working with that had a run from one end of a car to the other that started on a body line. He would most likely have made a complete mess of the job trying to sand it out and then end up refinishing the car. Saved him a days work at least.

Even with the razor blade, you have to be very carefull with deep runs that may still be soft. It's quite possible to tear out a chunk of the finish. Though it's usually pretty easy to tell before you go too far. There is much more "feel" with this technique. If it feels soft, then it's best to just let it cure some more.

Mentioned Allen's tip to my panel beater and he says they use a tungsten carbide tool. Mirka (shark blade) and Festool (de-nib tool) appear to make versions. Neither are cheap.

I've used them as well. They are obsenely expensive, and if you drop them they can shatter. Also really easy to loose. The razor blade is cheap, easy and the boss doesn't care if you loose it.

Top Bottom