Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fingerpicking on a concert size

Default Fingerpicking on a concert size

I am wondering if many people use a concert uke for fingerpicking. Do you feel the size limits you or do you just adjust to the smaller size. I am curious to see what people think.

I enjoy finger picking on a concert as much as with a tenor. I certainly don’t feel limited by a concert. If anything they seems a bit more relaxed to play.

I like the concert scale so never had to adjust. I tried tenor many times in stores and did not adjust. So ye, I fingerpick (and strum, and touch tenderly...) my concert ukes.

I have just discovered Del Rey What an inspirational musician. Here she is fingerpicking a concert scale resonator.

Happy just to be a Newbie +, Penny

I fingerpick both concert and soprano and can hardly tell the difference.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by prb035 View Post
    I have just discovered Del Rey What an inspirational musician. Here she is fingerpicking a concert scale resonator.
    I attended a Del Rey workshop last fall and I'm pretty sure that she can play anything on anything.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

My concert is tuned "low-G" so it gets used as when I play an arrangement that requires it. My tenor is tuned "hi-G" so gets more use, but I must admit to not really noticing the difference unless I put one instrument down and immediately pick up the other!

Having said all that, I must admit to happily moving from various ukuleles to 4 and 5-string banjo to mandolin to 6 and 12-string guitar or bass guitar with little more than a few bars of "re-acclimatisation". However, I didn't learn all the instruments at the same time, there being probably several years between one and the next, so the various "muscle-memories" had plenty of time to become established

YMMV
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I attended a Del Rey workshop last fall and I'm pretty sure that she can play anything on anything.
    You lucky devil! That must have been fun, she looks so natural & I love the music she plays
    Happy just to be a Newbie +, Penny

Quote Originally Posted by prb035 View Post
    You lucky devil! That must have been fun, she looks so natural & I love the music she plays
    I've been to a lot of workshops by a lot of celebrity ukulele players and Del Rey is the first one who flat out told people to quit incessantly noodling their ukuleles while she was talking and playing. I wanted to applaud her for it. But she puts on more of an intermediate workshop, at least the one that I attended. She showed us a lot of neat little riffs and tricks. I really liked her and her style of teaching.
    Last edited by Rllink; 06-24-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RLM3121 View Post
    I am wondering if many people use a concert uke for fingerpicking. Do you feel the size limits you or do you just adjust to the smaller size. I am curious to see what people think.
    I like finger picking on my concert ukes almost more than on my tenors, though they all have different nut widths and neck sizes which seems to be more important than and is independent of scale length. Though with shorter scale than tenor it has also some advantages for picking. I never managed to get comfortable with soprano so don't know how going even smaller would work.

Thread Information