Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headstock Shapes

Kerrville, TX - Heart of the Fabulous Texas Hill Country

Default Headstock Shapes

My newly acquired Collings has an attractive and unusually shaped headstock, which they call a "haircut" shape. That got me to thinking, are there names for the other headstock shapes? I Googled the question, but didn't come up with anything much.

So, is there a chart or list of headstock shape names?
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

There are basic headstock shapes used across many stringed instruments, such as the paddle. Many builders or manufacturers adopt a unique a recognizable shape as a visual identifier. A manufacturer may even go through a series of designs if they have the history. The names are often an appropriate visual descriptor, such as the haircut you noted. I’m not aware of a chart, but there are easily dozens of unique shapes. Such a chard could be quite large.

You might also try searching using the term “peghead” as they are used interchangeably.

Headstock shape that is common - and somewhat iconic for ukuleles, is the "shield", a la Martin ukes.

3 point crown shape seems to be the most common
    John

Gibson/Guild uses/used an "open book" or "mustache" headstock. KoAloha has a crown headstock.

I know Kamaka had a Tiki and a Sail headstock. I think there are a few others also.

John
    Last edited by 70sSanO; 06-24-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Kanile'a Cobra

IMG_20190625_060942.jpg
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTP5-PC

"Haircut" is the only name I've seen. I have concert and tenor with the haircut. I like it. A friend plays professionally with a non-haircut koa tenor.

By the way, I bet yours is strung incorrectly. Both of mine arrived that way. Unlike most ukes, when the string is inserted into the bridge, it should go in knot first and then pulled back over the bridge. The inside of the bridge is designed for that. It looks better, and it's less likely to pull out. My friend had a string pull out of his Collings, and it damaged the bridge, requiring a new bridge to be installed. I'll see if I can find the PDF from Collings.

https://www.collingsguitars.com/img/...ging-guide.pdf
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 06-25-2019 at 01:38 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information