Headstock Shapes

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My newly acquired Collings has an attractive and unusually shaped headstock, which they call a "haircut" shape. That got me to thinking, are there names for the other headstock shapes? I Googled the question, but didn't come up with anything much.

So, is there a chart or list of headstock shape names?

There are basic headstock shapes used across many stringed instruments, such as the paddle. Many builders or manufacturers adopt a unique a recognizable shape as a visual identifier. A manufacturer may even go through a series of designs if they have the history. The names are often an appropriate visual descriptor, such as the haircut you noted. I’m not aware of a chart, but there are easily dozens of unique shapes. Such a chard could be quite large.

You might also try searching using the term “peghead” as they are used interchangeably.

Gibson/Guild uses/used an "open book" or "mustache" headstock. KoAloha has a crown headstock.

I know Kamaka had a Tiki and a Sail headstock. I think there are a few others also.

John

Last edited:
Kanile'a Cobra

IMG_20190625_060942.jpg

"Haircut" is the only name I've seen. I have concert and tenor with the haircut. I like it. A friend plays professionally with a non-haircut koa tenor.

By the way, I bet yours is strung incorrectly. Both of mine arrived that way. Unlike most ukes, when the string is inserted into the bridge, it should go in knot first and then pulled back over the bridge. The inside of the bridge is designed for that. It looks better, and it's less likely to pull out. My friend had a string pull out of his Collings, and it damaged the bridge, requiring a new bridge to be installed. I'll see if I can find the PDF from Collings.

https://www.collingsguitars.com/img/faq/collings-ukulele-restringing-guide.pdf

Last edited:
Since headstock silhouettes are an important branding element, their variety defies common nomenclature. That being said, players and collectors have come up with some general terms to refer to common shapes of headstocks and crests:

Headstocks:
Shield - common 'ukulele profile, generally has a crowned crest and tapers toward the base (Martin, Kala, standard Kanile'a, etc.).
Flyswatter - variation on the shield. Base is as wide as or slightly wider than crest (Riverbend Instruments, Koaloha, etc.). Popular shape among the more "folksy" custom builders. A few alternative terms exist for this shape, but none are coming to mind at present.
Boatpaddle - another variation on the shield, but this time with a wider crest than base.
Snake/snakehead - similar to a flyswatter, but with a more pronounced taper toward the crest. Popular among the higher-end custom builders.
Tapered - narrow, strongly tapered headstock (Kevin Gillies, Seagull, etc.).
Minstrel - similar to that of a minstrel banjo.

Crests:
Crown (Martin, standard Kanile'a, etc.)
Domed (Oscar Schmidt)
Open book (Epiphone)

Note that any of these designs can come in either symmetrical or asymmetrical varieties. In no way is this list comprehensive.

There is the pineapple shape.
043B6AD7-5884-462D-9DCC-0EED3D8743F7.jpg

Attachments

• 147CE720-D74F-46FA-B7C8-7E2E2DFC96CD.jpg
    147CE720-D74F-46FA-B7C8-7E2E2DFC96CD.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 10
What would you call this design?
loprinziheadstock.jpg

What would you call this design?
View attachment 119296

Donna uses a shield design with a crest that's akin to a Martin/Lyon & Healy crown in miniature framed by the rounded corners of many classical guitars and American acoustic guitars. IMHO, this design really speaks to the history of her company and complements Loprinzi's overall approach of building elegant, inviting 'ukulele with warm tone.

image.jpg. Here is a range of head stocks. On the right, two solid body electrics from China branded Clearwater in the UK. In the middle, a semi-custom Zachary Taylor made in Vietnam. On left, an APC cavaquinho made in Portugal. It has steel strings.

View attachment 119452. Here is a range of head stocks. On the right, two solid body electrics from China branded Clearwater in the UK. In the middle, a semi-custom Zachary Taylor made in Vietnam. On left, an APC cavaquinho made in Portugal. It has steel strings.

That black Clearwater looks like my Vonson electric. "Vonson" here is "Clearwater" there - a much better name.

Top Bottom