'Ukuleles featured in commercials

Futurethink

Reaction score
I detect a drastic increase in commercials which use an ‘ukulele in their soundtrack. Most such commercials don’t show the ‘ukulele, but you can recognize the distinctive sound.

This commercial features an ‘ukulele which looks to me like a Mainland model. The name has been carefully removed from the headstock, I assume to avoid any trademark issues.
https://youtu.be/MpBQBs-ggjg

Bagster has even provided a tutorial on how to play “the joy of gone” …though I can’t imagine why anyone would want to learn this particular jingle. "I'd like to teach the world to sing" it's not.

Yes, I’m linking to a commercial, but I have no association with Bagster in any way. I don’t own stock, and I’ve never used their service. No promotion is intended. I simply wanted to celebrate the growing pervasiveness of the ‘ukulele.

Which commercials (featuring an ‘ukulele) have you come across?

Yeah, the Bagster commercial is a Mainland cedar/rosewood concert. We don't watch tv at home, I was at a hotel getting ready to go to the Allegheny Ukulele Soiree when I first saw it, good way to start a ukulele weekend. Bagster never contacted me about it, I presumed it was easier for them to black out the logo than to get permission, maybe they thought we wouldn't want to be associated with garbage.

Yeah, the Bagster commercial is a Mainland cedar/rosewood concert. We don't watch tv at home, I was at a hotel getting ready to go to the Allegheny Ukulele Soiree when I first saw it, good way to start a ukulele weekend. Bagster never contacted me about it, I presumed it was easier for them to black out the logo than to get permission, maybe they thought we wouldn't want to be associated with garbage.

Is it necessary to get permission to leave a logo on an instrument when we play? If so, what are the situations where you must get permission?
I recall the old Andy Griffith shows almost always had the brand name blocked out on most instruments. It would never occur to me to alter an instrument for a video or advertisement.

Andy Griffith.jpg

Last edited:
Is it necessary to get permission to leave a logo on an instrument when we play? If so, what are the situations where you must get permission?
I recall the old Andy Griffith shows almost always had the brand name blocked out on most instruments. It would never occur to me to alter an instrument for a video or advertisement.

View attachment 119303

For one thing, it's considered advertising, and they may have asked Mainland to pay them for "advertising" his product. You see that masking done all the time, especially with cameras. I've seen ID badges on cars covered on TV, as if we can't tell it's an Audi or a Chevy without that little badge.

Does anyone else watch these commercials to see if the actor is attempting to play the ukulele, or is just faking it?

I made a play along of this when Mim sent Mainland Mike a Facebook post about the video. Here are several varieties...and a tutorial. Enjoy (or not)...

The song does offer some intermediate strumming techniques for a 30 second video.

Top Bottom