Does Gloss Finish Protect in High Humidity?

Jam108

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm torn between ordering Pono AC or Pono ACD. I like the sound of the satin finish a little better, but I'm wondering if the gloss deluxe ukulele will last longer in high humidity? I live part time in S. India where humidity is off the charts every day and having AC, or dehumidifier, is not an option. I previously brought a satin finished ukulele there and it warped really bad. I'm wondering will a gloss finish protect it from this type of weather damage? Thanks!

It is doubtful any finish would protect against those extremes of humidity and temperature. Remember that it is only the outside of the uke that is finished/sealed; the inside is exposed to the air conditions with no protection.

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but perhaps a non-wood option would work for this purpose? Outdoor Ukulele, Klös, Blackbird?

Gloss finish is just for fancy looks and does not protect. There are ukuleles built in Vietnam that may be built in high humidity environment and their Vietnamese acacia might be more durable too.

I understand that there is humidity and HUMIDITY but I think in general moist air gets a bad rap.

I live in a humid hot area and always believed that dry air is much more damaging to solid wood. Obviously getting a ukulele wet is nuts but a luthier and ukulele builder told me once not to worry about my wood instruments in our US Gulf Coast climate. Now India (and that heat) may be something else but Ukulele's are built in Vietnam, Indonesia, and Hawaii. They seem to do fine there.

I own a couple instruments where the interior wood is sealed. Indeed, they are great for travel and gigs as they are very consistent and don't change much with weather conditions. Of course, if your climate is really problematic, a carbon fiber, plastic or composite instrument might be a good alternative to wood.

Top Bottom