Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Celluloid Binding Revisited -- MEK the missing link?

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBD View Post
    After you route your binding channels you may wish to seal them with shellac before using the CA to glue in the bindings. I have heard that some people have had issues with the CA staining the wood, although I have never had this problem myself.
    Brad
    Yes, that is one thing I wanted to avoid. How about sealing the whole body with Shellac prior to routing and gluing? Will that prevent the wicking/staining?

Good idea, I always seal my bodies with shellac before finishing.
    Brad
    Bradford Donaldson
    Kekaha, HI and Cannon Beach OR
    bradfordj48@outlook.com

I sue the brand 'Weld -On'. Yesterday I bought some PVC plumbers cement to see if that works. If it does it will be a heck of a lost cheaper than weld-on! CA glue is good but not for applying binding to raw end-grain spruce - the capilliary action as it wicks up the cells cannot be reversed or corrected.

This YouTube video is what I followed. It didn’t use the pipettes in the demo but wish I had because it's pretty challenging to control the amount otherwise. You want to try to keep it between the tape; if it goes under it collects and hardens into really thick ridges, which are a pain in the butt to get off.

https://youtu.be/r-6EEuJKIzQ

The biggest takeaway from this video is not the glue, it's the other pair of hands used by Robbie. I've found an assistant most useful for stufff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bouchard View Post
    it collects and hardens into really thick ridges, which are a pain in the butt to get off.

https://youtu.be/r-6EEuJKIzQ
    Yup. Been there. The stuff is like hard bubble gum from hell. I've learned not to let the stuff get under the tape. It reacts with the adhesive... It is a learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Howlett View Post
    I sue the brand 'Weld -On'. Yesterday I bought some PVC plumbers cement to see if that works. If it does it will be a heck of a lost cheaper than weld-on! CA glue is good but not for applying binding to raw end-grain spruce - the capilliary action as it wicks up the cells cannot be reversed or corrected.
    I tried that in one of my experiments and got poor results. Which Weld-On do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBD View Post
    After you route your binding channels you may wish to seal them with shellac before using the CA to glue in the bindings. I have heard that some people have had issues with the CA staining the wood, although I have never had this problem myself.
    Brad
    Does the CA adhere well to the shellac, or as well as to bare wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett S. View Post
    Does the CA adhere well to the shellac, or as well as to bare wood?
    Yes it adheres just as well as to bare wood... Like Pete and others have said, if the thin CA wicks into your wood it will create very ugly streaks. Redwood I found out seems to be the worst offender in this regard and I once ruined a lovely sinker redwood top due to CA wicking. Its always worst at the north and south ends where the grain ends are exposed. All it takes is a quick brush with dilute shellac (1 lb cut) and you are good to go. I also spray shellac (Bullseye unwaxed) around the edge of the top and on the sides so that any drips will sand out easier.

I use the thickest CA I can find, then squeeze it on and distribute it with a big splinter of wood. Four or five inches at a time with binding and two pieces of purfling goes pretty quickly. There is no wicking and not a lot of squeeze out, but I tape my fingertips to keep them as clean as possible (and not always successfully).

Thread Information