Concert that sounds like a Tenor?

I have not noticed any KoAlohas with low G tuning when I was at their factory tour last year. But I bought a KoAloha concert because I wanted to contrast my tenor with brighter and punchier sound.

Crazy, My Opio Sapele Tenor came with Low G, stock, and I'm assuming that the strings on my Acacia Opio Concert are stock as well, with Low G. Hmmm...

Wow - thanks for all the input. I listened to a Clara clip, and I prefer the sound of wood (maybe it's my imagination, but I think I can tell the difference).

My budget is about $500. If I felt really strongly about the purchase being a good one....I could sell of some things and get up to about $1200.

I have an Opio spruce top tenor which I LOVE the sound of, but have a little difficulty stretching for some of the notes. I've played a friend's inexpensive Kala mahogany tenor, and I really liked the sound of that. I'd like to have a little less brightness/perkiness in a concert.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have two 16" scale concerts. My 16" William King koa has the traditional figure eight lower bout and has that nice classic concert uke sound.

I can tell that you are correct, my friend's William King soprano sounds like a very loud concert size uke.

If I was shopping in your price range, I might opt for a Kala cedar-topped concert, Kremona Coco, or the Romero Grand Concert currently for sale in the Marketplace section.

EDIT: there was also a Gary Gill large-bodied concert in the Marketplace a little while back. You might try to search for it.

Last edited:
I do, in fact own such an instrument, a concert-scale uke with a tenor body. You can find it here: http://www.acoustic-guitars.com/EN/mandolins-bouzouki-ukuleles.php

It‘s made by French luthier Maurice Dupont. Although he mostly builds tenors, he makes the instruments also with a concert neck. At least the basic model made of mahogany, the UK100. Although it’s not stated explicitly on the website. But I do have one. And I know of at least one other person who has one. I‘m not so sure about the higher priced models.
Of course, the price is a bit beyond your budget, but I assure you: This is the instrument to terminate your UAS.
It‘s one of a kind. The richness and volume of the sound is beyond any compare. I used to play it stringed with a high g, but switched to low g after some time, and right now, I don‘t think I‘ll switch back. I could post a sound example tomorrow (as it is already after midnight here in Europe).

I do, in fact, already have a soundfile, but it is a little distorted, as I wasn‘t used to the volume of this instrument. But is is in high g, at least.

Last edited:
If I was shopping in your price range, I might opt for a Kala cedar-topped concert, Kremona Coco, or the Romero Grand Concert currently for sale in the Marketplace section.

EDIT: there was also a Gary Gill large-bodied concert in the Marketplace a little while back. You might try to search for it.
I sold my Gary Gill concert scale tenor about 6 months ago. When I got my Moon Bird concert, the sound was so similar between the two that I only wanted to keep one. The sound of the Moon Bird blew me away, so I sold the Gary Gill. The GG had a wonderful tenor sound with the more comfortable scale, but the Moon Bird stole my heart.

If you can find another “short neck” tenor, that might fill your needs.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the suggestions. Uke folks are so generous and helpful with sharing their knowledge and experience.

I'm thinking maybe a Gary Gill, a Moon Bird concert or the base level Maurice Dupont might be what I'm looking for. I vaguely remember a Gary Gill being listed a little while back...

Thank you for all the suggestions. Uke folks are so generous and helpful with sharing their knowledge and experience.

I'm thinking maybe a Gary Gill, a Moon Bird concert or the base level Maurice Dupont might be what I'm looking for. I vaguely remember a Gary Gill being listed a little while back...

Yep, that was mine. I purchased it from Mim & had it for about a year. Mim had the last three that Gary built before he retired from ukulele building. They are pretty rare now, but worth searching for. I can definitely give the thumbs up for the Moon Bird concert. There's also the Mike Perraira (?) Cali Pineapple that someone else mentioned. It's a concert scale/tenor body.

Romero concert

The Romero Creations concert has a bigger body and was designed to sound like a tenor, which it does. I have one and had it listed for sale, but changed my mind. I think I may list it again.

If you have decided to list it again, what Wood(s) is it made of?

My little Moon Bird punches up a size to my ear, so maybe a concert Moon Bird?

X2 - and you can play it hard and it responds well.

Top Bottom