Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A new ukulele stand

Quote Originally Posted by YogiTom View Post
    While you are both undoubtedly correct that it could—and likely would—be copied and produced en masse cheaper, part of the appeal to me is that I know that I am supporting people here in my own backyard.

There will always be knockoffs for any product, but I don’t see why it should stop them from making a go at it. If that were the case, “luxury products” wouldn’t exist because there would be no demand for them. A $12 bottle of sparkling wine and a $300 bottle of vintage champagne may on paper be the same thing—fermented, bubbly grape juice—but given the option and funds, I’d drink the champagne every time. Not because it is cool to drink expensive wine (I would argue it isn’t, but that’s another thread), but because it would in fact be a higher quality product made to exacting regulations. The cost isn’t always arbitrary, and I’d trust a $300 stand with my more expensive ukes over a cheap knockoff any day of the week.

Just my 2’.
    Well, a couple of things. First, to sell a luxury good, you'd have to market it to appeal to the luxury market. Starting this product off at a high end crafts or art fair, especially a curated one, such as the Affaire in the Garden in Beverly Hills, which is reasonably close to them, would have gone a long way in establishing them in a higher end market BEFORE they get cheaply copied and it becomes harder to differentiate themselves. Second, they should truly understand their market. A market for an expensive piece of high quality, functional art with great woods and design elements is not the same market as the probably non-existent one for an expensive, basic plywood functional object, devoid of the beautiful artistic elements and gorgeous woods.

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    Well, a couple of things. First, to sell a luxury good, you'd have to market it to appeal to the luxury market. Starting this product off at a high end crafts or art fair, especially a curated one, such as the Affaire in the Garden in Beverly Hills, which is reasonably close to them, would have gone a long way in establishing them in a higher end market BEFORE they get cheaply copied and it becomes harder to differentiate themselves. Second, they should truly understand their market. A market for an expensive piece of high quality, functional art with great woods and design elements is not the same market as the probably non-existent one for an expensive, basic plywood functional object, devoid of the beautiful artistic elements and gorgeous woods.
    Points well taken. I respectfully disagree that they don’t understand their market, and will leave it at that.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

They look really nice but are way, way, way out of my price range for an instrument stand. Also, they may have made a fatal error by using Kickstarter. If I remember correctly, Kickstarter only collects and gives you the money if you reach your goal, which doesn’t seem very likely in this case.

Scooter
    Tenor Koa Fluke (rosewood fretboard, Pegheds)
    Concert Tie-Dye Flea (rosewood fretboard, Lucy's tuners)
    Soprano Firefly (walnut fretboard, Pegheds)
    Late 40's Martin Style 1 soprano
    Concert Oscar Schmidt Mousekulele
    Tenor Mainland Mahogany Slothead
    Concert Eddy Finn Moon and Stars

"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a Ukulele."
    ~Linus Van Pelt~

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterD35 View Post
    ..... which doesn’t seem very likely in this case
    I think you nailed it.
    Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTDP - Pono ATDC-CR

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterD35 View Post
    They look really nice but are way, way, way out of my price range for an instrument stand. Also, they may have made a fatal error by using Kickstarter. If I remember correctly, Kickstarter only collects and gives you the money if you reach your goal, which doesn’t seem very likely in this case.

Scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    I think you nailed it.
    Totally agreed. A GoFundMe or IndieGoGo campaign, or a lower goal on Kickstarter, would have been a better idea, imho.

I had emailed them after this thread started to suggest they include additional tiers, and that the “no stand” backers should get some kind of swag (case stickers, t-shirt, maybe even a CNC keychain). I honestly think it is two well meaning folks hoping to turn a part-time gig into a full-time “do what you love” business, and unfortunately spent less time researching other similar campaigns to see what did and didn’t work, or how the reward tiers are structured in other campaigns. I also think a $25 contribution should have the “supporter on our webpage” reward as a given. It was a bit disheartening to see that level didn’t get you anything.

Hopefully it’ll be a valuable experience and not an end to their dream. That would be unbelievable sad, at least for me.
    Last edited by YogiTom; 06-29-2019 at 05:53 AM.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Quote Originally Posted by YogiTom View Post
    Totally agreed. A GoFundMe or IndieGoGo campaign, or a lower goal on Kickstarter, would have been a better idea, imho.

I had emailed them after this thread started to suggest they include additional tiers, and that the “no stand” backers should get some kind of swag (case stickers, t-shirt, maybe even a CNC keychain). I honestly think it is two well meaning folks hoping to turn a part-time gig into a full-time “do what you love” business, and unfortunately spent less time researching other similar campaigns to see what did and didn’t work, or how the reward tiers are structured in other campaigns. I also think a $25 contribution should have the “supporter on our webpage” reward as a given. It was a bit disheartening to see that level didn’t get you anything.

Hopefully it’ll be a valuable experience and not an end to their dream. That would be unbelievable sad, at least for me.
    Since you're emailing them, maybe you could suggest that they add a solid wood offering in the price range you paid, and maybe a solid wood burned option, for ukuleles. That walnut in the photo is gorgeous, as I'm sure the other solids would be, but there are none uke sized.

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    Since you're emailing them, maybe you could suggest that they add a solid wood offering in the price range you paid, and maybe a solid wood burned option, for ukuleles. That walnut in the photo is gorgeous, as I'm sure the other solids would be, but there are none uke sized.
    Great point! I’ll send them a note.
    Current UAS fallout:

We're in!

We like entrepreneurs, ukuleles, and Hawaii people.

Oh, and they are next door to us in Carson.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by maki66 View Post
    We're in!

We like entrepreneurs, ukuleles, and Hawaii people.

Oh, and they are next door to us in Carson.
    Awesome! I just received my Maui hook, and will post a new thread for my review and thoughts! Here’s a sneak peak:
    4A3800DE-BA29-42B9-9ACB-30449FCF6BB7.jpg
    Current UAS fallout:

Thread Information