A new ukulele stand

Well, a couple of things. First, to sell a luxury good, you'd have to market it to appeal to the luxury market. Starting this product off at a high end crafts or art fair, especially a curated one, such as the Affaire in the Garden in Beverly Hills, which is reasonably close to them, would have gone a long way in establishing them in a higher end market BEFORE they get cheaply copied and it becomes harder to differentiate themselves. Second, they should truly understand their market. A market for an expensive piece of high quality, functional art with great woods and design elements is not the same market as the probably non-existent one for an expensive, basic plywood functional object, devoid of the beautiful artistic elements and gorgeous woods.

Points well taken. I respectfully disagree that they don’t understand their market, and will leave it at that.

They look really nice but are way, way, way out of my price range for an instrument stand. Also, they may have made a fatal error by using Kickstarter. If I remember correctly, Kickstarter only collects and gives you the money if you reach your goal, which doesn’t seem very likely in this case.

Scooter

They look really nice but are way, way, way out of my price range for an instrument stand. Also, they may have made a fatal error by using Kickstarter. If I remember correctly, Kickstarter only collects and gives you the money if you reach your goal, which doesn’t seem very likely in this case.

Scooter

I think you nailed it.

Totally agreed. A GoFundMe or IndieGoGo campaign, or a lower goal on Kickstarter, would have been a better idea, imho.

I had emailed them after this thread started to suggest they include additional tiers, and that the “no stand” backers should get some kind of swag (case stickers, t-shirt, maybe even a CNC keychain). I honestly think it is two well meaning folks hoping to turn a part-time gig into a full-time “do what you love” business, and unfortunately spent less time researching other similar campaigns to see what did and didn’t work, or how the reward tiers are structured in other campaigns. I also think a $25 contribution should have the “supporter on our webpage” reward as a given. It was a bit disheartening to see that level didn’t get you anything.

Hopefully it’ll be a valuable experience and not an end to their dream. That would be unbelievable sad, at least for me.

Last edited:
Totally agreed. A GoFundMe or IndieGoGo campaign, or a lower goal on Kickstarter, would have been a better idea, imho.

I had emailed them after this thread started to suggest they include additional tiers, and that the “no stand” backers should get some kind of swag (case stickers, t-shirt, maybe even a CNC keychain). I honestly think it is two well meaning folks hoping to turn a part-time gig into a full-time “do what you love” business, and unfortunately spent less time researching other similar campaigns to see what did and didn’t work, or how the reward tiers are structured in other campaigns. I also think a $25 contribution should have the “supporter on our webpage” reward as a given. It was a bit disheartening to see that level didn’t get you anything.

Hopefully it’ll be a valuable experience and not an end to their dream. That would be unbelievable sad, at least for me.

Since you're emailing them, maybe you could suggest that they add a solid wood offering in the price range you paid, and maybe a solid wood burned option, for ukuleles. That walnut in the photo is gorgeous, as I'm sure the other solids would be, but there are none uke sized.

Since you're emailing them, maybe you could suggest that they add a solid wood offering in the price range you paid, and maybe a solid wood burned option, for ukuleles. That walnut in the photo is gorgeous, as I'm sure the other solids would be, but there are none uke sized.

Great point! I’ll send them a note.

We're in!

We like entrepreneurs, ukuleles, and Hawaii people.

Oh, and they are next door to us in Carson.

We're in!

We like entrepreneurs, ukuleles, and Hawaii people.

Oh, and they are next door to us in Carson.

Awesome! I just received my Maui hook, and will post a new thread for my review and thoughts! Here’s a sneak peak:
4A3800DE-BA29-42B9-9ACB-30449FCF6BB7.jpg
:shaka:

Just curious, what would the dimensions be on this with a uke sitting on it? I'm trying to find a way to display my custom tenor in a curio cabinet. That being said, I don't know how deep I will need that cabinet to be in order to put it on a stand inside the cabinet. When you factor in the slant of the instrument and having a slotted headstock, just not sure how much distance I need from front to back. Thanks.

Top Bottom