Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some advice regarding strings for a "baritone" ukulele.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I'm now in the process of educating myself about baritone ukulele strings & some of the information has been helpful.

The uke I've ordered is strung with Aquila Nylgut strings. I'll probably end up experimenting to see what I like.

Has anyone tried D'Addario J68 strings for DGBE tuning on a baritone? The gauges are 28 34 30 35. I think they would be relatively high tension (which I suspect will be my preference for my fingerpicking playing style) ..... although at the moment it's all "theory" for me as I've never played a ukulele, but I've been playing steel stringed instruments for 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCraftedCow View Post
    Are you the Oregon Jimbo 123?
    Nope, I'm in Australia.

Jimbo, at the risk of piling on even more information than you can use, I will just add one more reply, in case it's helpful. In the Aquila Nylgut baritone string sets, the D and G strings are wound, like steel guitar strings, so there will be some finger-squeak noise if you have to move your fingers quickly up or down the neck to hit the next chord. Being a long-time steel-string guitar player, you are probably used to that and it may not be an issue for you (and you may have the technique to minimize it when you play). When I took up the baritone uke I wanted to try to get away from that sound so I use Worth strings, in which all four strings are non-wound, so there is no steel-string-like squeaking. They are around $15 (U.S.) per set, online and at my local shop. Whatever you choose, have fun with it!

Oops, I see that Bill already mentioned the wound strings in his reply, above. Sorry for any duplication.
    Last edited by John boy; 06-30-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned re-entrant gCEA)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned DGBE)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (currently tuned low-octave ADF#B)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

Sorry to hijack the thread a little but as a non-guitar player, when you say the "inside four strings", you mean the ADGB strings, used as the DGBE strings, respectively, correct?

I think this is the solution my friend's dad uses with her baritone, but she doesn't know any of the details.

I just took a vintage Favilla as part of trade on a Webber baritone I sold. Since it was a vintage mahogany bari. he put on the Diaddario EJ65B Pro Arte nylon strings. Wow, I was so impressed by them. I'm ordering a set of the J68 strings myself. The double wound strings will be right up your alley Jim. Much cheaper than the custom sets I put together. I like a high tension myself though I am more of a flatpicker.

DiAddario seems to really have upped their game with strings; both steel and "nylon".

The recent search I've been on are picks and trustfully I think I found the right one. Charmed Life Picks. Incredible material he's using. I'm pickin' with his Clt-75 triangle. I

Thread Information