Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you play this chord?

Thanks John. 2013 is nice.

If you're playing with other instruments you are a couple more options. If you have two ukes, one can play the F while the other plays an Am over their F. Of if you have a piano / bass player covering the tonic note (F) you can simply play an Am. That said, neither of these options will give the spacing recommended in the song.

I'm participating this thread in a somewhat theoretical basis if to add any. Not concerning some particular song or piece.
    Some major 7ths can be hard, though there are are alternatives for Fmaj7, but anyways Am has the top notes of it and or also just play F as has been suggested.

When with Dm7, though easy one can always play F. And Em7 can be played with G though easy as it is too. Most notable example we have is "hawaiian D7" that is actually F#dim with no D that many play in the key of G.

Substituting the other way like Dm(7) for F works only sometimes, but it is good to know
    Last edited by Jarmo_S; 06-30-2019 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by prb035 View Post
    Bill has described this very well, and also put things into the right context. The final 2 bars are played using the same Fmaj7 shape as tabbed, as you are already holding the chord shape that you are referring to, there is no need to change the fingering
    Thank you so far from everyone. It is a troublesome chord shape. While true the final 2 bars benefit from just holding the shape, it takes a great deal of effort and precision to transition to that shape so the notes are clean and can be played with an arpeggio.

I’ve had a little success with angling my hand toward the pinky side, but it is taking some time. I guess, just practice, practice, practice...

There is another tricky chord shape earlier in this song, it's 2258 (Dm) any suggestions about fingerings?
    I’ve been working on that one. The easiest suggestion is move from a tenor scale to a concert. Absent that.

After that, bar the entire second fret with your index finger, hit the 5th fret with your ring finger and pinky in the 8th fret. I also find it helpful to not have your thumb in the middle of the neck, but closer to the treble side of the neck.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrdr View Post
    I’ve been working on that one. The easiest suggestion is move from a tenor scale to a concert. Absent that.

After that, bar the entire second fret with your index finger, hit the 5th fret with your ring finger and pinky in the 8th fret. I also find it helpful to not have your thumb in the middle of the neck, but closer to the treble side of the neck.

Rich
    Hi, hhostrdr! It is difficult for me even on concert (see the photo below). I need soprano.

Last edited by yahalele; 07-02-2019 at 11:14 PM.

You make it look so eazzy! Thanks for posting
    Hi, prb035!

A friend of mine visited my house today. He is very good guitar player much better than me. He plays latest finger picking solos and often teach me. He played 2258 on 7th and 9th capo. He could not . He said it is impossible even with capo 9 on guitar. It is very hard, isn't it. :-))

Thread Information