Reverb Message Woes

Thanks. I need these more rational opinions and takes, because I know my mind doesn’t always give folks the benefit of the doubt or think about things clearly.

And sorry, to be clear, the package is already going back to the seller. FedEx confirmed they made the request earlier today and told me they were sorry that was all they could do.

That's too bad. It would have been nice to know for sure what was going on. But worrying doesn't change anything. There's another deal around the corner. It will be interesting to see how it is relisted.

Thanks. I need these more rational opinions and takes, because I know my mind doesn’t always give folks the benefit of the doubt or think about things clearly.

And sorry, to be clear, the package is already going back to the seller. FedEx confirmed they made the request earlier today and told me they were sorry that was all they could do.

That's too bad. I understand why they might want it back if they undervalued it, but they should have been honest with you and accepted their loss if you wanted your uke.

That's too bad. It would have been nice to know for sure what was going on. But worrying doesn't change anything. There's another deal around the corner. It will be interesting to see how it is relisted.

Agreed, and thanks again for the perspective. I’ll report back, but something tells me I’ll have to add this model back onto my UAS safari wish-list.

I think part of my emotional thinking is I found this on my birthday and was going to treat myself. Probably set my expectations way too high.

That's too bad. I understand why they might want it back if they undervalued it, but they should have been honest with you and accepted their loss if you wanted your uke.

I agree, and we had this happen all the time in my fine wine job. A wine worth $500 would be listed at $300 or something less due to an importing error (grabbing a historical price column in Excel to upload rather than current market value), and while it was always a tough call to make or email to write, we tried to always resolve things so that both parties were satisfied. For small pricing errors, we would generally take the loss but kindly let the customer know that future purchases of the same wine would be at the correct price. For bigger errors, we would do what I think should’ve been done here (assuming it is being pulled back to repost for more), which is be honest and tell the customer we couldn’t possibly let the wine go for the mistake price, offer our apologies, and perhaps offer a deal on a similar wine or on shipping for their next order. Not ideal, but honesty and clarity are generally good policies for businesses to practice.

I'd be suspicious, as you were - thinking that they realized that it was worth more than they asked and instead of absorbing the loss and keeping their word, they want it back. As long as you get all your money back, no harm done, just some disappointment. Maybe stay away from that seller in the future if you're unsure of his motive.

I'd be suspicious, as you were - thinking that they realized that it was worth more than they asked and instead of absorbing the loss and keeping their word, they want it back. As long as you get all your money back, no harm done, just some disappointment. Maybe stay away from that seller in the future if you're unsure of his motive.

Totally. For reference, they were asking $899, which seemed like a great price given the condition it appears to be in.

Update:

I heard from the seller (the shop owner) today, explaining in great detail what has been happening behind the scenes.

Evidently he has been working remotely, and in reviewing the sale noticed a photo in the group of photos for the uke that wasn’t included in the listing: a clear photo of the stamp inside saying “Made in the USA”. Seeing this, he instructed his staff to pull the uke back and give me a refund while they sorted things out. This explains the somewhat disjointed messaging I had been experiencing.

Upon doing more investigation, the owner found the stamp inside photo was actually from a different 2M listing they recently posted, and it had been mixed in with the photos for the uke I purchased. The story and provenance of the the uke I bought also lined up with it being accurately listed the first time.

So, pending a confirmation that it is indeed pre-war as originally thought, the owner/seller offered to honor the original price and to re-ship for free. I was so impressed by his thoughtfulness and integrity that I said thanks, but that I would want to pay for the shipping. I guess that’s the guilt I feel in my initial reaction to this all.

Thanks again for those who advised a level-headed, wait-and-see approach. It looks like I may yet get my birthday dream Martin after all.

You got me hooked now Tom. Keep us appraised. I want this to end up a winner.

Update:

I heard from the seller (the shop owner) today, explaining in great detail what has been happening behind the scenes.

Evidently he has been working remotely, and in reviewing the sale noticed a photo in the group of photos for the uke that wasn’t included in the listing: a clear photo of the stamp inside saying “Made in the USA”. Seeing this, he instructed his staff to pull the uke back and give me a refund while they sorted things out. This explains the somewhat disjointed messaging I had been experiencing.

Upon doing more investigation, the owner found the stamp inside photo was actually from a different 2M listing they recently posted, and it had been mixed in with the photos for the uke I purchased. The story and provenance of the the uke I bought also lined up with it being accurately listed the first time.

So, pending a confirmation that it is indeed pre-war as originally thought, the owner/seller offered to honor the original price and to re-ship for free. I was so impressed by his thoughtfulness and integrity that I said thanks, but that I would want to pay for the shipping. I guess that’s the guilt I feel in my initial reaction to this all.

Thanks again for those who advised a level-headed, wait-and-see approach. It looks like I may yet get my birthday dream Martin after all.

Don't quite understand why you would feel guilty. Their failure to properly communicate with you kept you in the dark and inevitably resulted in questions and suspicions. You should not feel the least bit guilty for entertaining those suspicions.

Update:So, pending a confirmation that it is indeed pre-war as originally thought, the owner/seller offered to honor the original price and to re-ship for free. I was so impressed by his thoughtfulness and integrity that I said thanks, but that I would want to pay for the shipping. I guess that’s the guilt I feel in my initial reaction to this all.

Would you like to tell us who this ethical seller is?

Update:

Despite looking like an older make, the seller here has confirmed there is a “Made in the USA” stamp inside. *sigh*...the quest for a pristine pre-WWII 2M continues...

Top Bottom