Blackbird Clara Sunburst NUD

Kibes37

Reaction score
It’s funny, I was going to get a Clara right away, but I opted for a Kanile’a. Real wood, Hawaiian built. It’s funny because the 4 Ukes prior to the Clara may not have been purchased. UAS May never have formed... its that good. It’s amazing. I can play everything smoother and easier. I love all my Uke family members, with no plans to sell, but this thing dominates. I mentioned Low G was not desirable, but I love it with the Clara. I have a Tenor now in a concert body. The depth and base response floored me immediately. The volume is outrageous. Tunes like a dream, love the weight distribution. It’s pretty perfect.

The fit and finish is incredible with a few complaints. A very small nick by the nut and some excess glue where the fretboard meets the top bout. Looks like the glue will dry more and flake away. From other pics looks like par for the coarse. For the price I paid I expect it to be flawless, but it’s not a deal breaker. I realize it’s handmade and at the end of the day the playability and tone are what I truly paid for and I could not be more pleased.

I joked on a previous post my UAS was dead indefinitely. Another member said I cursed myself with that statement. All joking aside, I can’t see a another uke out performing this. All that’s really left is a custom and maybe a Moon Bird. Ha, although I had another UU member PM me and offer their moon bird because they just got a Clara... I understand why. To all the real wood purists, I get it too. I have become a wood detective since falling for Ukes, but the Clara for sure sounds like wood. At least the Sunburst does. All opinion, but all I hear is fine aged wood.

If you have the means, get one. The effin’ thing is ridiculously fun. Makes me want to play more. Didn’t think that was possible.

Here is me playing a sec plugged in and clean. Thanks to this forum for a place for me to share my pure joy!

Processed
https://vimeo.com/345233745
Clean
https://vimeo.com/345235378

Sounds very pretty! Congrats on your purchase.

Congratulations on your new Clara! Mt. Tam awaits...

Blackbird does not pay enough detail to finishing. I have seen a couple where the neck was pitted out of the factory. When I spoke with Joel at HMS, he said that it was hit or miss and if it came that way, his setup/finishing would not be able to improve it. It is also luck of the draw if eKoa fibers on the front look more like dings than irregularities. So ordering a custom requires some luck, though maybe they would pay more attention on a custom than a stock order for a store.

I am so confused. If the quality of the uke is hit or miss, why are people paying top dollar for it. There are other amazing sounding ukes with great quality control.

The quality is top notch. SUPER SOLID, but there are some imperfections I let slide because it’s so far ahead of 99.9 percent of Ukes in playability and sound/ volume. Plus it’s a new material to work with and master. 2025 Clara will be perfect. These excuses are coming from a normally anal uke owner who can’t get over the Clara experience. And it was a PRETTY penny in my world... No doubt. Zero regrets, I just want to be fully honest on my NUD. The imperfections are already an afterthought, I’m just covering my experience. I get it if a Uke lover only wants wood.

And to be honest, my experience has been, if you put any uke under an LCD light or direct sunlight you will find imperfections... except maybe a Kinnard and such... the Clara’s straight ripping sound (or soft if you please) is always present... ask any owner...

Last edited:
Congrats. I had not heard Stairway to Heaven on the uke yet. Sounded good!

That came to life on the Low G. I will post the full song soon, I want it to rock...

The quality is top notch. SUPER SOLID, but there are some imperfections I let slide because it’s so far ahead of 99.9 percent of Ukes in playability and sound/ volume. Plus it’s a new material to work with and master. 2025 Clara will be perfect. These excuses are coming from a normally anal uke owner who can’t get over the Clara experience. And it was a PRETTY penny in my world... No doubt. Zero regrets, I just want to be fully honest on my NUD. The imperfections are already an afterthought, I’m just covering my experience. I get it if a Uke lover only wants wood.

And to be honest, my experience has been, if you put any uke under an LCD light or direct sunlight you will find imperfections... except maybe a Kinnard and such... the Clara’s straight ripping sound (or soft if you please) is always present... ask any owner...

I guess I misunderstood. What is a "pitted neck" and does it affect the sound or functionality?

Part of me (not the collector part, LOL) would love to have this daydream be true, that there is a "perfect uke" that doesn't sound like plastic (even the Flea, as good as it plays, still has that sound to me) and doesn't require the constant maintenance of humidifying in our wicked dry MN winters.

I would love to see/hear a video without electronics, if you ever have the time.

Does the company have any plans to make a traditional shape concert like the Farralon?

I have an original Clara and a newer Farallon. Both are superb instruments. Any finish flaws are wayward fibers in the mix. The setup is perfect from the factory and the instruments sound and play good from day 1. For traveling and outdoor play they are the best, not cheap though.

I guess I misunderstood. What is a "pitted neck" and does it affect the sound or functionality?

I’m unware of the “pitted neck” situation

Looks like it was @rainbow21 who originally made mention of this.

Btw, congratulations! Love the look of that sunburst! A Clara is somewhere on my list of ukes to try. Not sure I could justify the money for one right now, but perhaps when those “perfect” ones start rolling out in 2025...:p

Last edited:
I’m unware of the “pitted neck” situation

"rainbow21 rainbow21
Blackbird does not pay enough detail to finishing. I have seen a couple where the neck was pitted out of the factory. When I spoke with Joel at HMS, he said that it was hit or miss and if it came that way, his setup/finishing would not be able to improve it. It is also luck of the draw if eKoa fibers on the front look more like dings than irregularities. So ordering a custom requires some luck, though maybe they would pay more attention on a custom than a stock order for a store."

Does that affect the tone or functionality?

Last edited:

The pitting are tiny holes in the finish, especially noticed on the neck. Think of making a bunch of pinpricks in the finish before drying. My current custom Clara has this on the neck and back. One I saw had larger pits, like taking a flat toothpick. It is as if a bunch of small bubbles popped before the finish dried.

The ones on mine are barely noticeable (they look like teeny black dots in the finish, but you can feel them with your fingernail) and I did not buy the sunburst because I figure this will be my kickaround uke. The one with the larger pits I would not buy because it was too noticeable and unattractive.

This has NO effect on sound or functionality. and will not worsen.

The pitting are tiny holes in the finish, especially noticed on the neck. Think of making a bunch of pinpricks in the finish before drying. My current custom Clara has this on the neck and back. One I saw had larger pits, like taking a flat toothpick. It is as if a bunch of small bubbles popped before the finish dried.

The ones on mine are barely noticeable (they look like teeny black dots in the finish, but you can feel them with your fingernail) and I did not buy the sunburst because I figure this will be my kickaround uke. The one with the larger pits I would not buy because it was too noticeable and unattractive.

This has NO effect on sound or functionality. and will not worsen.

Ahhh. Ok. So that makes sense why it wouldn't be a problem. I googled "pitted neck" for ukes, guitars, and stringed instruments and could find nothing. Thanks for the explanation.

Part of me (not the collector part, LOL) would love to have this daydream be true, that there is a "perfect uke" that doesn't sound like plastic (even the Flea, as good as it plays, still has that sound to me) and doesn't require the constant maintenance of humidifying in our wicked dry MN winters.

I would love to see/hear a video without electronics, if you ever have the time.

Does the company have any plans to make a traditional shape concert like the Farralon?

I’ll post an unplugged video shortly, when I have a sec. Tone is in the ear of the beholder. I’m sure there are plenty of people who do not think Clara sounds like wood.

Sounds like you have found a good match for you.
Enjoy your Clara!

Top Bottom