Season 385: Popular Abroad

Another Canadian! Gordon Lightfoot, who seems to get better with age. Or maybe it's my inability to assimilate new styles and interest in appreciating familiar ones. Whatever. One of the first big hits in the U.S. he wrote and performed rather than writing for others to play.

The Zombies were bigger in the USA than in their native UK back in the 60s, and still are today. Over here they only had two chart singles, including this song, which only got to number 12. In the USA it reached number 2, and they had 7 other singles reach the chart. Even today, they play far more dates over there than they do here, both with the current line-up of the band (still featuring Rod Argent & Colin Blunstone) and, occasionally, all four survivors from the original line-up. I have managed to see them twice here, and if you do get the chance to catch them, do it, just to hear Colin Blunstone's voice, which is still angelic.

the thread consensus seems to be that david hasselhoff's back catalogue is not a rich mine in which to dig up gems. i hadn't heard any of his music before this week - all i knew about him was he likes leather jackets, and he works as a lifeguard :rolleyes:

however, i checked out some of his songs, and quickly found one i like. either he's not really so bad, or my musical taste really is as atrocious as people tell me it is :eek:

"hold on my love" - the hoff

It's good to see Joko's comments have inspired a "Hoff" cover. My lifestyle never included watching regular TV (Until the invention of Netflix) so I did not know who this guy was, but it's a funny backstory for sure ~

The Carpenters have to be one of the most worldwide famous bands out there. Can anyone bring a Carpenters song please :)

It's Friday here in Texas guys/gals. It's been kind of slow week, probably due to this being a busy travel time for lots of folks. I'm removing any limits on contributions, bring as many as you'd like over the weekend, and if you have the time, please listen and comment on the great work being done this week ~

kev

The Carpenters have to be one of the most worldwide famous bands out there. Can anyone bring a Carpenters song please :)
As you asked so nicely, your Hostliness! :)

My Dad’s a big Carpenters fan, so I grew up listening to them. Karen Carpenter’s voice is simply perfect! And this song is one of my favourites...

After pa did "I Got You," I got bold or foolish enough to try a Split Enz number from the same record. This opens the second side of the True Colours LP, which remains absolutely brilliant. I want to learn all the vocal songs on that side (Missing Person, Poor Boy, How Can I Resist Her ... wow). But here's a very rough first take on this one.

the very lovely kim wilde has had more, and longer lasting, success in germany than in her native UK - all her albums have achieved better chart positions in germany than in the UK, and while her music career dipped a bit in the UK in the 90s, her fans in germany stayed forever loyal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGrPNo_G_M

We all love Kim Wilde - and this is why. Drunk as a skunk on a train on her way home after the office Christmas Party, treating the commuters to her very own karaoke version of Kids in America :)

Last edited:
Many Afro-Americans moved to Europe and in particular France, artist such as Josephine Baker
Sidney Bechet and Nina Simone. Perhaps they found a freedom and acceptance in egalitarian
France that was denied them in the USA. Nina Simone recorded Feeling Good and perhaps it
reflect the new found civil liberties that she experianced while living in Europe.

Hello, "Your Hostliness" (what an excellent title!) Like Del, I am responding to your request for some "Carpenters". I have to admit, at the risk of making myself highly unpopular, that I'm not actually that keen on them, firstly, because, despite Karen C's wonderful voice, I find most of their songs a bit too sweet and sentimental, and, secondly, because I have never been quite able to accept the idea of a brother and sister singing love songs together. Anyway, I got a bit carried away here and this is a rather "alternative" version of "There's A Kind of Hush", featuring a lot of 21st Century nocturnal noise polution ... sorry!!!

Last edited:
I wasn't sure if I'd get one in this week but here is one after all.

Graham Nash was a member of the Hollies but by 1968 had become frustrated with them and left and moved to the USA to work with Stephen Stills & Dave Crosby who he had previously met thus forming Crosby, Stills & Nash. They were later joined by Neil Young forming Crosby Stills Nash & Young. Much of Graham Nash's subsequent career has been with CSN, CSNY and as a duo with Dave Crosby. Marrakesh Express is off CSN's first album and was written by Graham Nash. It was a song that he wrote while with the Hollies who didn't want to use it.
The pictures in the video were created on an iPad using an app called Sketchbook Express.

Ahoy
Since Pixies are one of my favouritea I decided to do my rendition of 'Here Comes Your Man'

She (Kim Wilde) might be a bit tipsy :) Definitely a fun video ~

At first, all I could think of for this season was "Cheap Trick at Budokan", and it wasn't really inspiring me. But then I saw people were playing Split Enz songs, so I had to get in on that. (There was one Season long ago where I played 4 or 5 Enz songs.) This song is from the "Corroboree" album, which was originally called "Waiata" everywhere except Australia.

So they are about to have a jam session
In heaven, Jack Bruce on bass and Jimi
On lead guitar. Jim I turns to the drummer
And says "Hit it Karen". Keef Moon walks off
In disgust.5

Money where my mouth is: here's Looking for Freedom by David Hasselhop

My favorite Portland, Oregon band is the late, great Dead Moon. While they were playing local shows in the early 90s to a hundred or so Portlanders, they were also building a dedicated following in Europe. And they wrote this lovely song that perfectly suits this Season's theme...

Top Bottom