Season 385: Popular Abroad

Just finished getting day one's songs onto a setlist, commenting and posting up the link. Thanks to all of you who've already contributed.

For those of you who are going to be busy later in the week, if you want to post your seven song allotment all in one or two days i'm cool with that. I'm not normally a big fan of limitations, so feel free to post up to 7 songs at any point during the week.

Cheers

kev

Rodriguez.Besides South Africa he was also big in Oz in the 70's.Still have my vinyl of Cold Fact.

A collaboration with Lynda although Mr. Stewart did have considerable success beyond our shores. This is probably the song that catapulted him to International stardom, I've always much preferred his early 70s stuff with the Faces.

~ Collaborations are always welcome, and since I love them so much, you can choose one song by any artist about any theme as long as it is a collaboration.
Hi Kev - can you confirm whether it’s okay to more than one of these if it’s with a different collaborator for each song? Cheers! :)

Depeche Mode bar, Tallinn

Depeche Mode are a British band, formed in the 1980s and as far as I know are still recording and touring. They were popular here in the UK - but more popular in Germany and Eastern Europe. They also did well in the US alternative and dance charts.

This is one of their lesser known releases, which ironically didn’t actually do so well in Germany - a departure from their synth based pop for a more soulful and moody piano based love song. Unusually the band’s main songwriter Martin Gore took the lead vocal on this and apparently insisted on singing it while completely naked in the recording studio with all the lights turned off to capture a sense of vulnerability in keeping with the lyrics. You’ll be mightily relieved that after careful consideration I decided against doing the same! ;)

I can vouch for the popularity in Europe of Depeche Mode (who come from Basildon, about 15 miles from where I grew up). When we were in Tallinn, Estonia, a couple of years ago, one of the highlights of our trip was a visit to the DM-Baar, tucked away in a little sidestreet & dedicated to all things Depeche Mode: jukebox, video jukebox, interior design... :)
20170613_140550.jpg20170611_192902.jpg
20170611_192944.jpg20170611_193737.jpg
*don't know why UU's BB software has put all these pics on their side, but hey-ho :(

I can vouch for the popularity in Europe of Depeche Mode (who come from Basildon, about 15 miles from where I grew up). When we were in Tallinn, Estonia, a couple of years ago, one of the highlights of our trip was a visit to the DM-Baar, tucked away in a little sidestreet & dedicated to all things Depeche Mode: jukebox, video jukebox, interior design... :)
View attachment 119473View attachment 119472
View attachment 119471View attachment 119474
*don't know why UU's BB software has put all these pics on their side, but hey-ho :(

oh wow that is cool!

Really? Any in particular come to mind?
Hasselhoff "Sings America" is chock full of covers of good songs (word order is important: not to be mistaken for good covers of songs, but who am I to judge?).

"Looking for Freedom" seems to be perfect for the season though: Triple platinum and #1 on the charts abroad, but zero-respect in his home country!
Or "Jump in my car" as the "Get Hasselhoff to Number 1" option.

Hi, Kev! I meant to upload this in the middle of the night, but we had an enormous thunderstorm which resulted in a power cut (life here is SO exciting!!!) I am, therefore, using up what is left of my meagre Internet allowance to upload it this morning. Once normal service is restored - on Friday - I hope to listen to everyone else's contributions; meanwhile, happy Independence Day to all of you on the other side of The Pond. (Herman's Hermits were part of the British Invasion to the States in the mid-Sixties and, strangely, although this song reached No.1 in the US and Canada, it was, apparently never released as a single in the UK.) P.S. Sorry about the knee ... it was VERY hot when I recorded this!

Last edited:
In the 60's with the folk and blues revival many gospel and blues artists came over from the USA to Europe.
Artists like Howling Wolf, Sony Boy Willamson and Sister Rosetta Tharpe... She was an extraordinary guitarist
and performed many gospel songs when touring Europe. Perhaps it is true that a prophet is never recognised
in their own country. Just listen to the guitar solo in Up above my head. Quite astounding

Last edited:
Ahoy
The Pixies are one of my favourite bands and I was surprised to learn that they 1st made it in the UK. To this day the Pixies play sold-out shows in Europe and mostly tour outside of the states (very popular in Iceland, for instance)
Wave of Mutilation was released in 1989 on the Doolittle album. I am playing the UK(Surf Mix) version that was released in the early 90s

Wonderful Tonight

The English Invasion encompasses some of the most brilliant musicians, singers and song writers on the planet. This is an opportunity to dig out one from my favorite artist of all time, Eric Clapton. Born and raised in England, he had a tough go of it from the beginning. He was brought up believing his grandparents were his mother and father and his birth mother was his older sister. He dealt with many other hardships including drugs, alcohol, women, and the death of his 4 year old son. Fortunately he found music at a rather early age and clung to his true passion through it all. He passed through various incarnations of many fantastic bands. The Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, Delaney and Bonnie, Derek and the Dominoes were some of the more notable ones. He was without question one of the greatest rock guitarists who ever lived. He penned this song for Patty Boyd, formerly George Harrison's wife. My wife and I always thought it was for us! :)

I multitracked the video and used my Digitech Element XP to transform the ukulele to get the guitar scream and sustain. Wonderful Tonight.

my apologies Kev.
not sure what became of the two Shannon Lyon songs i posted
but i'm going to repost them now and hope they don't disappear again.
as I mentioned before, Shannon Lyon became much more popular in northern Europe
than in his native Canada; to the extent that he ended up moving to Holland
and his gigging band to now is full of Scandinavians. his long-time recording
collaborator and producer, BJ Baartmans is also from those climes.
this song is called Yellow, from his Wandered LP (2003).

this song is called Sometimes It Hurts also from his Wandered LP.

Little Hank Snow got you- surely he was more popular doing hillbilly music in the US than in Nova Scotia

Top Bottom