Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 385: Popular Abroad

Just finished getting day one's songs onto a setlist, commenting and posting up the link. Thanks to all of you who've already contributed.

For those of you who are going to be busy later in the week, if you want to post your seven song allotment all in one or two days i'm cool with that. I'm not normally a big fan of limitations, so feel free to post up to 7 songs at any point during the week.

Cheers

kev

Perfect Day. Lou Reed (who shot to fame overseas) cover :-)

Regina Spektor was born in Moscow in the former Soviet Union. This song gives me a chance to use
    some of my old photos that had something to do with what goes on the mind and it never seen.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Rodriguez.Besides South Africa he was also big in Oz in the 70's.Still have my vinyl of Cold Fact.

A collaboration with Lynda although Mr. Stewart did have considerable success beyond our shores. This is probably the song that catapulted him to International stardom, I've always much preferred his early 70s stuff with the Faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezcalero View Post
    ~ Collaborations are always welcome, and since I love them so much, you can choose one song by any artist about any theme as long as it is a collaboration.
    Hi Kev - can you confirm whether itís okay to more than one of these if itís with a different collaborator for each song? Cheers!
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzx...Pezq1Qh7YLL5Ew

My 'Yazuke' collaborations with bird's eye view of my ukulele: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...21bONWOlsIWLZc

My 'Griffs' collaborations with Mezcalero: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...phaZNPwJIIfBHm

Default Depeche Mode bar, Tallinn

Quote Originally Posted by DelGriff View Post
    Depeche Mode are a British band, formed in the 1980s and as far as I know are still recording and touring. They were popular here in the UK - but more popular in Germany and Eastern Europe. They also did well in the US alternative and dance charts.

This is one of their lesser known releases, which ironically didnít actually do so well in Germany - a departure from their synth based pop for a more soulful and moody piano based love song. Unusually the bandís main songwriter Martin Gore took the lead vocal on this and apparently insisted on singing it while completely naked in the recording studio with all the lights turned off to capture a sense of vulnerability in keeping with the lyrics. Youíll be mightily relieved that after careful consideration I decided against doing the same!

I can vouch for the popularity in Europe of Depeche Mode (who come from Basildon, about 15 miles from where I grew up). When we were in Tallinn, Estonia, a couple of years ago, one of the highlights of our trip was a visit to the DM-Baar, tucked away in a little sidestreet & dedicated to all things Depeche Mode: jukebox, video jukebox, interior design...
    20170613_140550.jpg20170611_192902.jpg
    20170611_192944.jpg20170611_193737.jpg
    *don't know why UU's BB software has put all these pics on their side, but hey-ho
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    This made me laugh. But he's (David Hasselhoff) covered a number of great songsómaybe that's close enough.
    Really? Any in particular come to mind?
    Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

Quote Originally Posted by DelGriff View Post
    Hi Kev - can you confirm whether it’s okay to more than one of these if it’s with a different collaborator for each song? Cheers!
    Yes, that would be fine Del ~

Quote Originally Posted by redpaul1 View Post
    I can vouch for the popularity in Europe of Depeche Mode (who come from Basildon, about 15 miles from where I grew up). When we were in Tallinn, Estonia, a couple of years ago, one of the highlights of our trip was a visit to the DM-Baar, tucked away in a little sidestreet & dedicated to all things Depeche Mode: jukebox, video jukebox, interior design...
    20170613_140550.jpg20170611_192902.jpg
    20170611_192944.jpg20170611_193737.jpg
    *don't know why UU's BB software has put all these pics on their side, but hey-ho
    oh wow that is cool!
    lynda

doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

Thread Information