Handmade Blue Frog Soprano - Solid Black Walnut body with Sitka Spruce Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diogenes Blue

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
SOLD!

Soprano #39 is back up for sale after the owner decided to trade up for one with inlay.

$400 includes shipping within the lower 48.

Solid black walnut back and sides with cherry binding
Sitka spruce top
Sitka spruce bracing
Mahogany Neck - Shape is modern C
Ebony headstock veneer
Ebony fretboard bound in cherry
Honduras rosewood bridge
13.5" scale
1 3/8" nut width
Bone nut and saddle
Grover Geared Tuners

IMG_0016.jpgIMG_0021.jpgIMG_0033.jpgIMG_0034.jpgIMG_0037.jpg

Last edited:
As the one who originally bought this uke, I can attest it is amazingly bright and jangley, with a very comfortable feel to it. String-thru bridge is a nice touch, imho.

I played it for all of one week before Vic and I got to talking about inlays and such. As Vic said, I loved this little uke, but wanted a bit more bling. Someone will get a great soprano, from a great builder—and overall human being!—complete with a pair of adorable extra “sound holes” in the side pieces provided by tiny boring critters in the walnut. A real fun touch for me, and I hope for the new owner, too.

Thanks y'all!

New information as requested. String action across the 12th fret is right at 1.75mm, with a slight fall-away after the 12th fret. On my sopranos I radius the whole top and scrape / floss the fretboard to match the shape of the top. The fall-away past the 12th is done after the neck is atttached, during the fret leveling process.

soprano 39 string action b.jpgsoprano 39 string action a.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, goodness.
Love the woodset on this one. That bookmatched back (is it sapwood?) ... and walnut grew on my grandparent's farm.
If I wasn't in line for a long neck...

Last edited:
Oh, goodness.
Love the woodset on this one. That bookmatched back (is it sapwood?) ... and walnut grew on my grandparent's farm.
If I wasn't in line for a long neck...

It is indeed sapwood. I love stripes lol. Walnut grew on my grandparents' farm too. But what I wish I had is a giant Osage orange that the new owners evidently had cut and taken away. Here's a step-stool I made for Mrs. Blue Frog out of the same tree as the sopranos I've been making.

black walnut stepstool.jpg

It is indeed sapwood. I love stripes lol. Walnut grew on my grandparents' farm too. But what I wish I had is a giant Osage orange that the new owners evidently had cut and taken away. Here's a step-stool I made for Mrs. Blue Frog out of the same tree as the sopranos I've been making.

View attachment 119457

Very pretty .... the uke as well!

Beautiful uke and the bench is a great design. Texas used to have a lot of Osage. They used them as hedgerows, I believe.
That uke sounds wonderful, so tempting, but long necks R us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom