Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Least favorite bridge for string change

I have an ukulele with an 8 hole tie bridge. It has already popped off the top once.
    I don't ever want another tie bridge, this type has become a deal breaker for me.
    I won't offer to restring any more friends' ukes with them either...
    Through the body stringing is a piece of cake.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

String through body is better than Tie bridge which is better than Slotted bridge, in my opinion. Through body just works. Once you figure it out the first time, it's dead simple and very secure. Tie bridge is pretty straightforward too, once you figure out the way to tie it. Slotted is just way, way too fiddly. Easy to make the knot too small (particularly on the A string) or too big (I'm looking at you, C string...) I have no real experience with bridge pins, but that is also by choice. I just don't like the aesthetics of them, so I have avoided them.

I have a Kamaka HF-2 with a slotted bridge, purchased used, that has had to have two slots repaired due to the slots being a bit chewed up and no longer holding knots. It is the only instrument that I get anxious about when it comes time for a string change. I wish it were at least a tie bridge... (This is pretty much the only thing that I don't love about that instrument, but I am a guy who *loves* trying out new strings so it is pretty frustrating for me.)
    Ukes include (but are not limited to)
    • Blackbird Clara
    • Kamaka HF-2A (Koa Concert)
    • KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (Acacia Concert)
    • KoAloha Opio KCO-10S (Spruce Top Concert)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    A hemostat might be helpful if you're having trouble getting that string. They can be found all over the internet and can be had for very reasonable prices if you shop around.

Attachment 119456
    Exactly what I use on my string-throughs.
    I already had a few different sizes so I use the long 9in curved pair on the tenor, and my smaller 6in curved pair on the soprano.

String-through is definitely my preferred bridge style. With slotted being my second.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

A tie bridge is a safe choice, just have to learn how to tie the strings. Construction wise the slotted bridge is the weakest. And string through is the strongest but a bother, what if scratch strings while fishing the ends out from sound hole. Pin bridge is strong too, but it is the ugliest.

I've read that one advantage of strings that don't go through the bridge is that the bridge can pop off if the uke takes a hard jolt. I don't know if that's a real concern, but I read a couple of articles that were in favor of glued-on bridges, rather than screwed-on for that reason.

I prefer through the bridge or tied on. Getting the right size knot is a nuisance, especially if the slots are worn a bit wider.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Since getting the Tiny tenor, I've come to appreciate through-the-bridge stringing, even though I'd gotten used to tie bridges. I don't understand all the complaints about fishing expeditions, though. If I hold the instrument tail end up, soundhole facing me, as I keep feeding the string through the bridge, it eventually appears right at or just behind the soundhole, and I grab it with my fingers. Easy peasy, no extra tools needed.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Not a fan of pin bridges. On steel string acoustic guitars, they’re the most common. Thankfully this does not hold true with ukuleles. The only one I owned, a Kanile’a Islander, didn’t stay with me that long.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    Having just changed strings on a string through bridge, I got to thinking about which bridges I dislike most for string changes.

I find the tie bridge the easiest and quickest for me to change.

The only thing that really slows down the string through bridge is trying to get the string out of the sound hole. Any tips on that? I guess it just takes patience and luck.

I don't currently have a ukulele with bridge pins, but don't recall that being a problem when I had one.

The slotted bridge is, for me, the pickiest bridge. You have to get the knot so it's not too big, and not too small. The Goldilocks principle. Sometimes that's not a problem at all, and sometimes it takes more than one try for at least one string. I think I always cringe when tuning up initially, wondering if the string will pop out and hit me. I try to keep notes in the case on what I did to get it right to help with the next string change.

I like the look of the string through bridge the best, but would buy a ukulele with any bridge type if I like the ukulele.
    These are my thoughts exactly!

Always amazed by the lack of love for slotted bridges. Okay, so I figured out the first time that I always need a bigger knot for the A string, but I guess my ukes have a better bridge design than some others so haven't had any other issues. I just like the look of them; so much cleaner than a tie bridge and find the tying more fiddly than a quick knot. I guess I'm in the minority.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    Always amazed by the lack of love for slotted bridges. Okay, so I figured out the first time that I always need a bigger knot for the A string, but I guess my ukes have a better bridge design than some others so haven't had any other issues. I just like the look of them; so much cleaner than a tie bridge and find the tying more fiddly than a quick knot. I guess I'm in the minority.
    I love the look of slotted bridges also, and knock on wood, I haven't had any problems with any of mine yet.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

Thread Information