Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kala Elite 2 Koa Tenor for cheap

Default Kala Elite 2 Koa Tenor for cheap

No affiliation, but I came across this while window shopping the used section at Elderly.

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...r-ukulele-2016

I don’t know how much work or $$ would be needed to fix a backbowed neck, but $300 for an otherwise good looking uke like this seemed too good to be true, so I thought I’d share here.

Edit: I’ve done a few of these posts now (e.g., “hey, look, a great uke for sale!”), and have opted to post them here in the Uke Talk section rather than in the Marketplace, since I’m not the one selling them. If anyone—moderators or fellow users—thinks these should instead go in the Marketplace, please feel free to chime in! I’m sure it isn’t a huge deal, but I don’t want to clutter the wrong forum section unnecessarily.
    Last edited by YogiTom; 06-30-2019 at 09:07 AM.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

I've posted a few "hey, look!" threads here too, (Uke Talk), and figured that was the right place, since I was just talking about the ukes, not buying or selling them, and had no affiliation with the actual sellers. I'm guessing more people will see the thread here, and that not everyone checks the Marketplace all the time, unlike some of us who are hooked on window shopping. (No affiliation with Windows.)

And, in this case, it might be interesting to hear what people think about what is needed to fix the neck on the ukulele, too.

I wonder why Elderly didn't fix the neck, (refret is needed according to the website post), instead of selling it as is.

Re-fret is $300-400
    no bargain

Quote Originally Posted by eyedoc View Post
    Re-fret is $300-400
    no bargain
    Ah...that would explain it! Thanks for chiming in.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    I've posted a few "hey, look!" threads here too, (Uke Talk), and figured that was the right place, since I was just talking about the ukes, not buying or selling them, and had no affiliation with the actual sellers. I'm guessing more people will see the thread here, and that not everyone checks the Marketplace all the time, unlike some of us who are hooked on window shopping. (No affiliation with Windows.)
    Thanks for the “second” for where to post.

It’s funny, you mentioned people not checking the Marketplace as often, but when I am using the site, I’m typically looking at the “What’s New?” search to see new posts and threads since my last visit. I rarely go into a specific section unless I’m doing a deep dive search for something.
    Current UAS fallout:

I can't even wrap my head around what's required here.

But nice uke.
    If Kala Elite has a truss rod, does that mean it's a bolt on neck where a new neck could be installed?
    Why doesn't the warranty kick in here for Elderly?
    Last edited by ukeinfused; 06-30-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    Tracie

Island Koa Instruments, prototype sop, Peter Howlett #153
    Kamaka white label sop (Tiki added!)
    Weymann sop, 1918
    Martin O, 1960's
    Kiwaya KTS-7
    Anuenue Khaya I sop
    Lanikai SPS-S spruce top sop
    Sawchyn hog concert (semi-custom, Martin 0 copy)
    Kala Elite 1MHG tenor SN
    Guild baritone, 1960's (trumpet buttons added, LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by ukeinfused View Post

But nice uke.
    If Kala Elite has a truss rod, does that mean it's a bolt on neck where a new neck could be installed?
    Yes I agree, this is a very strange add, why wouldn't they just return the ukulele to Kala? I'm sure Kala would not like to see one of their Elite model instruments being advertised at a discounted price because it has a backbowed neck!
    Happy just to be a Newbie +, Penny

Just to be clear, it looks like a used 2016 instrument, likely on consignment from the current owner (would be my guess), who may not be the original owner either.

Either way, Kala’s warranty doesn’t cover anything beyond a year, if I’m not mistaken, and only for the original owner.
    Current UAS fallout:

Quote Originally Posted by ukeinfused View Post

But nice uke.
    I have a 1KOA-T and it definitely doesn't have a truss rod. All Elites do have bolt on necks as far as I know. Both my soprano & tenor are bolt on.

Quote Originally Posted by YogiTom View Post
    Just to be clear, it looks like a used 2016 instrument, likely on consignment from the current owner (would be my guess), who may not be the original owner either.

Either way, Kala’s warranty doesn’t cover anything beyond a year, if I’m not mistaken, and only for the original owner.
    On their Elite ukes they do a 2 year warranty, but if it's a 2016 build then that wouldn't matter anyways.

I wonder how much Kala would charge to replace the neck since they are bolt on?
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

Interesting that it has a backbow to the neck. I guess all you would need is a set of steel strings and that backbow would be gone...lol. Probably lose the bridge first.

I took a look at the pics on the link. I’m not saying Elderly is wrong but at a 90 degree view, I can’t see any backbow. The strings look super high above the 12th fret. The only way to know how bad, (and where it is, which is important), is to put a straight edge on the fretboard. If the big gap above the 12th is where the bow is, (it may be okay up to the 12th), then it is up to the buyer to figure if it is worth it.

If you don’t play up there who cares, as long as the action up the the 12th is good. And it may only need a partial re-fret, over that section of the fret board. The fret board will need to be planed down to take the bow out. Either way, anyone interested should find out how much how and where.

John

Edit added: I sent a few questions to Elderly to see how bad and where it is.
    Last edited by 70sSanO; 06-30-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Thread Information