Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheapest decent Uke strings

Default Cheapest decent Uke strings

Im volunteering at a local kids Ukulele program. and am restringing all the uses and doing minor repairs. What are my options as far as decent cheap Uke strings Sopranos, Concerts and Tenor sized. Please keep in mind this isnt a thread about cheap strings suck. lol. Anyhoot Im looking buy in bulk. thanks

Fishng line
    My Real name is Terry Harris

Yeah, buy Seaguar (blue or red) or Extreme fishing line leaders. Reels of 20 or 50 yards. Try the break strengths 40-80-60-30 for g-c-e-a. You will need to part with a good sum for those four reels but youíll be set for ages.

Edit: the guages will work for all three sizes you mention, but if youíre faffing about with low g buy a reel of 100 too if you can find it. Then I suppose you could make up a set for thicker / higher tension reentrant with 60-100-80-40. But those would be rather stiff.
    Last edited by Sven; 06-30-2019 at 11:20 AM.
    Building blog - http://www.argapa.blogspot.com
    Music and atrocities - http://www.goodcopbadcop.se

You might contact Mimo at Aquila. I get 20 sets bulk packed of the colored kids strings.
    With shipping from Italy the cost is about 4.50 a set.
    Keep Strummin'

Oasis are double sets for $6.30 from ElderlyInstruments,. That’s $3.15 a set. And they are good strings.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    Oasis are double sets for $6.30 from ElderlyInstruments,. That’s $3.15 a set. And they are good strings.
    I was going to say the same thing. Plus the package states they are suited to all three sizes. I have done this and can confirm it to be true
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I tend to use nylon fishing line. The same recipies apply to monofilament flourocarbon leader line though the higher cross sectional density of flourocarbon gives it a slightly different sound. My recipies for standard gCEA tunings are:

For tenor length 400mm+ or thereabouts 17 inches in the old money

50 80 60 40 lb fishing line

For concert/soprano 360 mm or thereabouts

60 100 80 50 lb fishing line

Substitute wound guitar D string or mandolin G string for low G

For sopranino 270mm or thereabouts with dGBE octave(s) above guitar tuning

40 60 50 30

Substitute 80 or 100 lb line for low D

I paid $3.80 for a spool of Jarvis Walker bulk economy line at Big W about 4 years ago. They had similar line at Kmart for similar prices from other makers. For some time the local stores (far from the ocean) were only stocking 60lb and lighter but I went in and checked in passing and the only missing poundage in the list was 60lb.
    My friends call me Titch. I have been known to clown.
    Ian Titulaer is my normie name.

https://sites.google.com/site/titchtheclown/

Seaguar fishing line. A lot of people swear by it. I've heard it on one of my friends' ukes and it sounded great. You can search Youtube for Seaguar ukulele strings for more info.
    Victor Jones
    Blue Frog Ukuleles

Bellevue, KY
    bluefrogvic@gmail.com
    http://bluefrogukes.weebly.com/index.html

Yes, I suppose nylon would do for the intended purpose. Can’t argue with a price like that.
    Building blog - http://www.argapa.blogspot.com
    Music and atrocities - http://www.goodcopbadcop.se

Quote Originally Posted by Titchtheclown View Post
    I tend to use nylon fishing line. The same recipies apply to monofilament flourocarbon leader line though the higher cross sectional density of flourocarbon gives it a slightly different sound. My recipies for standard gCEA tunings are:

For tenor length 400mm+ or thereabouts 17 inches in the old money

50 80 60 40 lb fishing line

For concert/soprano 360 mm or thereabouts

60 100 80 50 lb fishing line

Substitute wound guitar D string or mandolin G string for low G

For sopranino 270mm or thereabouts with dGBE octave(s) above guitar tuning

40 60 50 30

Substitute 80 or 100 lb line for low D

I paid $3.80 for a spool of Jarvis Walker bulk economy line at Big W about 4 years ago. They had similar line at Kmart for similar prices from other makers. For some time the local stores (far from the ocean) were only stocking 60lb and lighter but I went in and checked in passing and the only missing poundage in the list was 60lb.
    Due to their mixed reputation and minimal difference in packaged cost (to fluorocarbon) I donít use nylon strings. However I can see the economics of this (bulk) way of doing things but what puzzles me is what the down side really is? Lots of folk talk about the pluses of fluorocarbon line and of buying it in bulk as fishing line, but reels of fluorocarbon line arenít cheap. Whatís the down sides to nylon?

Thread Information