Cheapest decent Uke strings

Graham I just purchased a bunch of strings from Elderly Music and Amazon for the ultra cheap strings they were all in the $2-4 range. Especially with the Oais strings as you can get two sets out of one pack. But then most things luthier related are cheaper here in the states.

Its ironic though. One of my suppliers for high end Koa is in England of all places.

Graham I just purchased a bunch of strings from Elderly Music and Amazon for the ultra cheap strings they were all in the $2-4 range. Especially with the Oais strings as you can get two sets out of one pack. But then most things luthier related are cheaper here in the states.

Its ironic though. One of my suppliers for high end Koa is in England of all places.

Sorry, my comment wasn’t meant to indicate that low priced strings weren’t available in the USA - clumsy writing in my part. It was strictly as written in that strings are, I find, relatively expensive in the U.K. ie we don’t get low USA prices or USA bargains. M600’s purchased in the USA are listed at $6 inc shipping (eBay) but here in the U.K. the price is (converts to) roughly $9. Oasis strings aren’t readily available here and if they were the price would almost certainly be inflated.

It is good that you have pointed people in the direction of strings which (I believe you are suggesting) are low cost and worth buying.

Last edited:
I’ll shut up really soon. I promise. But four reels in the right guages of the expensive Seaguar blue label leader would be 85 bucks (and there are cheaper leaders). 25 yards of strings in total. Maybe you wouldn’t get 50 sets out of 25 yards but surely 40 sets, if I recall correctly what a yard is. But those ultra cheap strings from Amazon might be good enough for your students. Now I’ll shut up.

Using Sven's gauges and suggested string material a set would cost just under £2. This is derived from buying 50 yard reels = 4573cm and assuming that each string is 2 foot long - 60cm. You'd pay in the UK £140 for the reels and get 75 sets.... Seems to me like a good price and after all, that is what string manufacturers are generally using for fluorocarbon strings. Now shelling out £140 might seems a stretch but to be fair, in the UK, that is a sit down meal at a good restaurant for 4 people... a double room with breakfast in a nice hotel or in my case, a return train ticket from Bangor to London! You just have to think about the investment, and if you are making more than a few ukes or getting through a few sets of strings a year, the only way to go.

Personally I buy Worth Browns in 6 gauges on 50M reels and pay the bill - I couldn't tell you how much each set cost as it's not something I pay attention to. I just wanna decent set of strings on my ukes and these fit the bill. However as clients seem to know better than me in the string department and nearly always change them I am thinking I may go down the Seagur route with my latest designs... perhaps I'll tell you about those later this week :)

Last edited:
If you don't use a lot of strings buying reels of Seagar or other quality fluorocarbon line isn''t worth it. I would only want to use Seagar or other fluorocarbon line that was no older than a year or two. It goes bad. No serious fisherman will use last seasons line or leader.. We don't target salmon or other valuable game fish with last years line. Rockfish yes. Consider fluorocarbon line perishable. You can extend the life of line by sealing in airtight packs.

Last edited:
If you don't use a lot of strings buying reels of Seagar or other quality fluorocarbon line isn''t worth it. I would only want to use Seagar or other fluorocarbon line that was no older than a year or two. It goes bad. No serious fisherman will use last seasons line or leader.. We don't target salmon or other valuable game fish with last years line. Rockfish yes. Consider fluorocarbon line perishable. You can extend the life of line by sealing in airtight packs.
Good to know. I will seal up my Worth and Fremont strings until use.

I’m surprised. From what I’ve read PVDF fluorocarbon (fluorocarbon fishing line) is very inert and stable...

PVDF exhibits an increased chemical resistance and compatibility among thermoplastic materials. PVDF is considered to have excellent / inert resistance to:

• strong acids, weak acids,
  • ionic, salt solutions,
  • halogenated compounds,
  • hydrocarbons,
  • aromatic solvents,
  • aliphatic solvents,
  • oxidants,
  • weak bases.

Polyvinylidene fluoride expresses inherent resistance characteristics in certain high-focus applications. Namely these are: ozone oxidation reactions, nuclear radiation, UV damage, and microbiological, fungus growth. PVDF's resistance to these conditions is fairly distinctive among thermoplastic materials. PVDF's carbon and fluoride elemental stability contributes to this resistance, as well as the polymeric integration of PVDF during its processing.

Last edited:
I'm comforted to know Worth Browns will survive a nuclear attack. These will be my strings of choice whenever I venture into the Northern Hemisphere.
Down at the bottom of the world this is not so much of an issue. So far.
Miguel

I keep my fishing line out of the sun (uv) when not in use. Both on my fishing rods and my ukulele strings. I have been known to strip a few dozen meters from my fishing reels due to degradation. This is using 6 lb line in fresh water though. YMMV.

I’m not certain what the conclusion of this thread thread is in terms of meeting the needs of the OP. Nylon strings have a mixed reputation and I’m inclined to believe that they don’t sound as good as fluorocarbons or give as much volume. However I fitted some to a beater and they work just fine for that purpose: the tone’s OK, the intonation is good and the volume is enough for my purposes (don’t suppose they actually need to be loud for the children either, and less volume from the students might suit the teachers too). Including delivery some OK clear nylon stings (Stagg Brand, not sure if it’s available in the USA but there will be local equivalents) cost me less than half what I’d have to pay for some Fluorocarbon strings, perhaps this might be a worthwhile, Fit For Purpose and low cost route for the OP.

The original post was:
“I’m volunteering at a local kids Ukulele program. and am restringing all the uses and doing minor repairs. What are my options as far as decent cheap Uke strings Sopranos, Concerts and Tenor sized. Please keep in mind this isnt a thread about cheap strings suck. lol. Anyhoot Im looking buy in bulk. thanks”

Last edited:
A couple of different options happened. The general consensus at least which works for me is. I bought a bunch of the following. And since the bulk of most Uke strings are really cheap I just bought a Buch of different kinds and will see what I like as well. One thing I found out is a few manufactures double down on the strings so its make them 1/2 price shall we say. A very good deal indeed.

Top Bottom