Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luna UKEBASSHT High Tide Bass ?

Default Luna UKEBASSHT High Tide Bass ?

Saw these for sale online for $150. anybody have one or played one. I think these are tuned an octave up, like a guitar. I've asked the seller. My uke group is short on bassists, so I bought an Ibanez Mikro. I put some tapewound strings on and for the price, I think it's way ahead of most uke basses. a friend has a timber and those are nice, but pricey. I'd still like to get a bass that's more portable and back friendly but I like the mikro so I'm in no hurry. i need to find a lighter amp, my current one is a crate BX 50 I took on trade many moons ago, it's over 40 pounds! boy do those Double fours look sweet at under 10 pounds. Also looking at the GK MB 110. I would be playing with my uke group and these amps probably would work for inside gigs, but I know you need some power outdoors. I've had Kalas and a haeden, but never bonded with the strings. Love these Diadario tapewounds so it would be nice to have steel core strings.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

I will only play 21 to 24 inch scale bass, so a couple of years ago I bought a SmallGuitars.com 1/2 size 24" scale mini P-bass on which I put steel flatwound LaBella 25" they make for Gold Tone, it's very compact and really nice, of the 25 basses I have, it's my favorite. I also have a few Rondo Hadean solid body bass ukes that I changed the poly strings to the La Bellas, in humid weather they're better than the poly strings.

I replaced my Crate Limo 50w amp with a Double Four, I recommend that amp without hesitation, especially with the added battery. I use it for rehearsals with my 35 person uke group in a large multipurpose room. Save up and buy it.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

[QUOTE=kohanmike;2163694]I will only play 21 to 24 inch scale bass, so a couple of years ago I bought a SmallGuitars.com 1/2 size 24" scale mini P-bass on which I put steel flatwound LaBella 25" they make for Gold Tone, it's very compact and really nice, of the 25 basses I have, it's my favorite. I also have a few Rondo Hadean solid body bass ukes that I changed the poly strings to the La Bellas, in humid weather they're better than the poly strings.

I replaced my Crate Limo 50w amp with a Double Four, I recommend that amp without hesitation, especially with the added battery. I use it for rehearsals with my 35 person uke group in a large multipurpose room. Save up and buy it.

yes, I'm thinking double 4 too. what battery did you get? and that smallguitar bass wasn't on my radar,I'll check it out. thanks again.

update, they are tuned up an octave from std bass

Quote Originally Posted by strumsilly View Post
    Yes, I'm thinking double 4 too. what battery did you get? and that smallguitar bass wasn't on my radar, I'll check it out. thanks again.
    I bought the one recommended by Phil Jones when I bought 4 years ago, the Lenmar PowerPort PP916RS, but it's not available anymore. Specs are 5500mAh/11.1V, input 15-23V, 2.5-4A max., output 5.35V/16V/19V. I also tried a higher capacity battery, but it had a circuit in it that shut down the battery when it hit peaks, no bueno. I don't see a current recommendation on their web site, I just emailed to find out.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I bought the one recommended by Phil Jones when I bought 4 years ago, the Lenmar PowerPort PP916RS, but it's not available anymore. Specs are 5500mAh/11.1V, input 15-23V, 2.5-4A max., output 5.35V/16V/19V. I also tried a higher capacity battery, but it had a circuit in it that shut down the battery when it hit peaks, no bueno. I don't see a current recommendation on their web site, I just emailed to find out.

this one is PPU916RS one of the reviewers even mentions he uses it for the PJB.I ordered one, and the amp. thanks; https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenmar-Univ...2be7%7Ciid%3A1
    Last edited by strumsilly; 07-02-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Good find, I just ordered one since mine is over 4 years old and I want to be ready if it dies. Jumped the gun a little for an answer from Phil Jones. Thanks very much, and Happy 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I will only play 21 to 24 inch scale bass, so a couple of years ago I bought a SmallGuitars.com 1/2 size 24" scale mini P-bass on which I put steel flatwound LaBella 25" they make for Gold Tone, it's very compact and really nice, of the 25 basses I have, it's my favorite.
    Why that scale in particular?
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by maki66 View Post
    Why that scale in particular?
    I played rhythm guitar for almost 50 years and was often told I should play bass because I had good rhythm and feel, but I didn't like the cumbersomeness of a large electric bass, forget a giant standup bass. Then 5 years ago the leader of my uke group asked if anyone would like to take up the bass to fill in our sound, I discovered the U-bass and other small basses and went for it. Having a very strong case of gear acquisition syndrome, I'm now up to 25.

Strumsilly,
    You're learning to play bass? Fabulous!
    Or have you played bass before?

I'd steer clear of Luna ukes. I Don't know anything about their guitars, but my experience with Luna was dismal. They care about looks, not playability, and have been known to sell things with warped necks, etc.

I think I'd choose the lightest weighing amp you can find! Lugging weight is no fun.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information