Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luna UKEBASSHT High Tide Bass ?

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I played rhythm guitar for almost 50 years and was often told I should play bass because I had good rhythm and feel, but I didn't like the cumbersomeness of a large electric bass, forget a giant standup bass. Then 5 years ago the leader of my uke group asked if anyone would like to take up the bass to fill in our sound, I discovered the U-bass and other small basses and went for it. Having a very strong case of gear acquisition syndrome, I'm now up to 25.
    Sorry, I meant, why not a 20" scale?
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by maki66 View Post
    Sorry, I meant, why not a 20" scale?
    They're actually 20.75" scale, so I round up to 21 inches. I've noticed that on many instruments, the scale is slightly different than what's listed.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Strumsilly,
    You're learning to play bass? Fabulous!
    Or have you played bass before?

I'd steer clear of Luna ukes. I Don't know anything about their guitars, but my experience with Luna was dismal. They care about looks, not playability, and have been known to sell things with warped necks, etc.

I think I'd choose the lightest weighing amp you can find! Lugging weight is no fun.
    My local group has lost our main bass player, though we have a few others that can play bass, they aren't always available, and you can really tell when the bass is missing. So...
    No. I have never seriously tried to play bass, just flirted with some Ubasses. I did play guitar however, so learning ukulele and bass is somewhat easier .
    I went for the lightest decent [ but pricey] bass amp I could find, a PJB double 4. It sounds great, and when I crank it up and use a preamp [my mikro has passive pickups] it's pretty darn loud. I can feel the vibrations from our wooden floor through my bare feet. I can also line out to my big, heavy amp for more volume if I have to. I tried it and it really boosts the volume. Did I mention the discounted double 4 I got off MF is red, just like the bass?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dYZ...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by strumsilly; 07-09-2019 at 03:53 AM. Reason: pic
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Strumsilly - did you go ahead and buy the Luna High Tide bass uke? If so then how do you rate it?
    I was looking at exactly that model - I want steel strings not polyurethane, I love the fret markings on the high tide range, and I'm a sucker for a sunburst finish!
    Unfortunately this model is difficult to find in the UK so I haven't been able to try one, never mind buy one!
    Last edited by Bombay Mick; 09-03-2019 at 01:52 AM. Reason: to correct misspelling
    Gretsch 9120 tenor, Flight NUB310 baritone (gCEA), Tanglewood TWT20 baritone (DGBE), Luna High Tide bass - so far.....

At the weekend I tracked down maybe the last Luna High Tide bass ukulele for sale in a shop in the UK!
    It looks very nice indeed, and sounds OK to my untutored ear so, of course I bought it!
    A bonus is that strings are readily available and not expensive at all.
    Now I need to spend time learning how to play it ....
    Gretsch 9120 tenor, Flight NUB310 baritone (gCEA), Tanglewood TWT20 baritone (DGBE), Luna High Tide bass - so far.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bombay Mick View Post
    At the weekend I tracked down maybe the last Luna High Tide bass ukulele for sale in a shop in the UK!
    It looks very nice indeed, and sounds OK to my untutored ear so, of course I bought it!
    Now I need to spend time learning how to play it ....
    Congrat's! Gotta post pics or it's not real...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by Bombay Mick View Post
    What strings does it use? The low four from a flatwound guitar set?

I missed an opportunity to try one out at a workshop a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if I'm kicking myself for missing the opp or happy that I didn't generate more GAS by doing so Probably should work on learning to play before I extend the collection too much anyway

Thread Information