Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Narrow necks? Width preferences?

Default Narrow necks? Width preferences?

Do you have a neck width preference?

Anyone prefer wide or narrow necks, as opposed to the more standard 1-3/8" to 1.4" necks?

Just, got surprised by a wonderful new baritone uke. Great tone, superbly build, great set up, perfect finish, fair price. I asked about the scale before I bought it, and it was 20"...just what I wanted. But, I didn't ask about the nut width (Doh!), and surprise: it was 1.25".

I've never had any soprano, concert, tenor, or baritone uke neck width less than 1.38" at the nut. While it's only a 0.13" narrower, it changes the feel. I tried to get used to it, for a couple days. Definitely a bit more cramped when fretting. Fortunately, the seller has a great return policy. And sadly this outstanding uke is going back.

I'm guessing small differences in neck dimensions can be significant to most players.

New rule to live by, "always ask the nut width".
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

I prefer a 1 1/2" nut...…..though I'm ok with 1 3/8". The larger neck width is conducive for fingerpicking and blues notes. 1 1/4" is news to me too Hodge...…..though I wouldn't be surprised on a sub-soprano...……...but a bari?

I tend to prefer a narrow nut, but have never found one that narrow! What kind of baritone is that?
    UAS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevejfc View Post
    I prefer a 1 1/2" nut...…..though I'm ok with 1 3/8". The larger neck width is conducive for fingerpicking and blues notes. 1 1/4" is news to me too Hodge...…..though I wouldn't be surprised on a sub-soprano...……...but a bari?
    Quote Originally Posted by shanmoon View Post
    I tend to prefer a narrow nut, but have never found one that narrow! What kind of baritone is that?
    Yes, a narrow 1.25” neck on baritone uke was unexpected. It is a custom from Zimnicki, primarily a guitar builder.
    Although, I can understand from a guitar maker point of view this might be desirable for a guitar player, used to tighter string spacing. I guess this spacing is similar to a tenor guitar.
    Last edited by Doc_J; 07-02-2019 at 09:44 AM.
    -Hodge

I need 1.5" and wouldn't mind a wee bit wider if the extra space is used below the first string so I can vibrato, bend and do slurs without pulling the string off the fret.

Hmm, if my math is correct, this would be 8.5mm string spacing, same as on my Caramelele 5-string, which I'm finding quite comfortable. I'm not sure if it would feel weird if there were only 4 strings but I'm guessing I'd be ok with it. I wouldn't like the "long" scale though.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

!Flukutronic!

I suppose you can number me among the people who don't care. I pick my ukuleles primarily on looks and the width and shape of the neck is just something that makes me shrug; I just accept it as inevitable and play on.

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    I suppose you can number me among the people who don't care. I pick my ukuleles primarily on looks and the width and shape of the neck is just something that makes me shrug; I just accept it as inevitable and play on.
    I'm with you Ripock, I'm happy just to play on!
    Happy just to be a Newbie +, Penny

Hey Hodge that is very surprising and a neck width I have never heard of either. I am firmly in the 1-3/8" width camp so I always ask before buying. Although my Kamaka 100th anniversary baritone is 1-1/2" but I wanted one of those so I accepted that fact and seem to adjust after a song or two.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Dave, I agree with you. The adjustment of going from 1.38” to 1.5” nut widths wasn’t as difficult as going to the narrower nut for me. Although, I’m not sure I currently have any ukes that aren’t around standard 1.38”-1.42” nut widths.
    -Hodge

Thread Information