Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Narrow necks? Width preferences?

All mine are around 1 3/8" with the string spacing slightly varying. To be honest, I even find that to be somewhat uncomfortably wide as far as my left hand fingers are concerned. But I put up with it, realizing that in order to fingerpick comfortably, the strings must be sufficiently widely spaced in the area over the soundhole. Life is full of compromises, and instruments are no exception to that!

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

36mm or 1 7/16 is my favorite. Splits the difference between the 35mm and 38mm. 38mm is my second favorite & 35mm is my least favorite, although not really a problem. Neck size & shape is more important to me.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

I prefer nut widths around 36mm. I do also like 1.5".
    As long as it the neck isn't too thin I can play 1 3/8". I just hate it when it's advertised as 1 3/8" and then it's really 34mm.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

Fortunately, I don't care about neck shape.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Fortunately, I don't care about neck shape.
    That is fortunate... it’s a primary consideration for me. I like ‘em wide from side to side but slim from front to back.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    That is fortunate... it’s a primary consideration for me. I like ‘em wide from side to side but slim from front to back.
    Neck depth and profile are as important or even more important to me then width. I dislike and have sold uukes with a shallow neck and espiecally with a flat spot at the apex of the neck contour. Mya Moe is just like that.........but I have one of their baritones which I love the looks and sound of so I keep it
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Neck depth and profile are as important or even more important to me then width. I dislike and have sold uukes with a shallow neck and espiecally with a flat spot at the apex of the neck contour. Mya Moe is just like that.........but I have one of their baritones which I love the looks and sound of so I keep it
    Many things in the world of ukuleles are a matter of personal preference... but not this.
    I am right and you are wrong
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Hey, Hodge -

I have both 1 3/8 and 1 1/2 in ukes. Both are fine. I agree that anything narrower than 1 3/8 on a uke is a no-go. I once tried a tenor guitar, which typically have banjo-width necks and I simply could not deal. Back it went!

With guitars, I am finding I tend to prefer 1 7/8 width necks as 1 3/4 is just a tad too narrow for me.

Despite being a pretty hardcore cyclist and reasonably fit, I was cursed with fat finger pads!!!
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Yep. I agree.

The neck depth can make a difference on how a smaller nut width (like 1 3/8") feels for me.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    For me, wider nut, definitely—or rather, wider string spread, since a wider nut doesn't guarantee a wider string spread; the two have only a weak correlation. On my 1.5" (38mm) nuts, the string spread ranges from 27mm—typical spread on a standard 35mm nut (and less than on some)—up to 31.5mm.

The impact on reach of the typical 2mm spread increase, evaluated objectively, is negligible—you encounter a much larger increase in spread as you move up the neck, but how often does anyone comment on this? Rather, the advantage is that the fingers have a tad more room to arrange themselves in clustered chord shapes, and one can more easily clear adjacent strings when fretting.

A more important but overlooked metric is the string spread at the saddle, which varies much more and dictates how the strings spread as you move up the neck. On my ukes, the saddle spreads vary from 36mm to 48mm, which is up to a 6mm spread difference at the 12th fret (in addition to the minimum 4.5mm spread increase from the nut, if you have the standard 27mm spread). Indeed, a wider nut spread decreases the spread differential as you move up the fretboard, for a more consistent playing experience.
    ubu,
    This is really interesting. I found this to be completely true during my en-devour to learn to play fiddle.

There is a window of widths for nuts that works for me. 1 3/8" seems to be about right. I have another with a nut width of 1.5", which I am having difficulty making barre chords with.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information