Key people and events in ukulele history - what would you choose?

A painting tended for the general public would look different from one intended for ukulele historians.

Last edited:
Some familiar bits to draw people in, some surprises like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, and some esoteric mysteries like Breen and the Georges to spur further investigation.

Wow, I'm dumbfounded that I've never even heard of May Singhi Breen. I hope to learn as much about her as I can.

I think there's an incredible history behind the original members of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. Those folks were playing ukulele in Europe way before ukulele was cool.

Interestingly, I was not originally inspired by Jake. The UOGB were guilty of that. They made it look like they were having a ball, and that I could learn to do that, too. And, they're imitated just as much as Jake is.

- arrival of the Ravenscrag in Honolulu, 1879 (ship and the three original builders or a Nunes uke)
- adoption by the royal Hawaiian Household (perhaps Queen Lili'uokalani with a ukulele, first measures of Aloha 'Oe)
- spread to the continent (Henry Kailimai at the 1915 SF Panama Pacific World Exposition, perhaps with a Kamaka ukulele)
- ukulele at the movies (Ukulele Ike with a Martin ukulele)
- a continental rage (students with cheap and cheerful Chicago-built ukuleles)
- over to Europe (George Formby with a banjo ukulele)
- on television (Arthur Godfrey with plastic ukuleles)
- as a humoristic prop in cabaret (Tiny Tim with a battered resonator in a paper bag)
- on the internet (Jake Shimabukuro at the Midnight Ukulele Disco segment filmed in Central Park)
- clubs everywhere (a group of people playing and singing together, and some more outlandish ukulele shapes like fluke/flea types, boatpaddles, black bear ones)

As much I as I would like to smuggle in hot players (Sol Ho'opi, Roy Smeck, Iz, John King, James Hill) different instruments (the resonator department), further regions (Polynesian ukuleles), more women (May Singhi Breen for the classical side, Marilyn Monroe, Greta Garbo, Doris Day or Mia Farrow for their iconic scenes on the big screen), more genres (Joe Strummer with a baritone, Eddie Vedder, some 'Got Talent' contestant) but the list above is problably already way too much.

Excellent list, the only changes I would make are, putting Roy Smeck in the "ukulele at the movies" category and moving Cliff Edwards to "a continental rage" Chicago bar scene. I think the last one would be more of an international scene as this age of ukulele is the first global/ internet period.

By the way, the pictures are brilliant. As a Lancastrian I'd love a copy of the Blackpool picture.

I think he only has the original, so sadly would be a bit pricey!

Great images

Malcolm Mac where did he vanish to after he retired. Your Dad must be a real Newcastle fan to include Keegan in the centre of the image I always though the great Bobby Robson was the number 1 Manager.

Ironic that your Dad included in the Blackpool painting Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise who are forever associated with he seaside town up the coast from Blackpool from which Eric Bartholomew took his stage surname.

I think Keegan, because of his playing and managerial roles would pip Bobby, for impact if not popularity.

Morecambe and wise performed a lot more in Blackpool than Morecambe... although if he did one of Morecambe, they'd be a lot bigger!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks very much for all the helpful responses! Certainly a case that not everyone would like or choose everything in the picture, but as you can see from the images posted, he can pack plenty in. Appreciate all the replies, extremely useful.

Top Bottom