soprano hricane ukulele vs luna great wave concert ukulele

tatertots

Reaction score
I have a soprano hricane ukulele and I love the sound of it! I am thinking of getting a new one and I really like the look of the luna great wave concert ukulele. Does anyone know if they sound similar (I have looked up the audios on youtube and they are all of different qualities so it was a bit tricky for me to know for sure) or have any recommendations for new ukuleles that sound like the hricane soprano ukulele?

I'm looking for one that is preferably $100 more or less :)

I can't speak about that specific model and it's sound.

But Luna ukuleles in general doesnt have the best reputation. I once bought another Luna model because of it's looks, and got very dissapointed with the sound.

If you are looking for a new ukulele in the 100$ price range, you might want to try some other brands.
In this forum Ohana and Kala have good reputations, but of course there are other good brands out there.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Viking about Luna. I had one of their Tattoo concerts and it was ... disappointing. That is to say, it was garbage. Sloppy build, poor intonation, cheap materials, and a really awful sound. It wouldn't even pass as something to throw into the trunk and whip out after a long night drinking.

That was a while back, so maybe I got a bad one, or maybe they've improved since then. But it would take a lot for me to even consider another one.

I have to agree with Viking about Luna. I had one of their Tattoo concerts and it was ... disappointing. That is to say, it was garbage. Sloppy build, poor intonation, cheap materials, and a really awful sound. It wouldn't even pass as something to throw into the trunk and whip out after a long night drinking.

That was a while back, so maybe I got a bad one, or maybe they've improved since then. But it would take a lot for me to even consider another one.

No, PoiDog, your Luna wasn't unusually bad. They're pretty much all awful junk.
IMHO, for just a little over $100, a Cordoba concert scale uke can be had, I played one yesterday and really liked it. I Think it's called a 15CK. It came with a pretty thin gig bag.

Agree. I'd go with Ohana, Kala or Cordoba. I know the uke you're talking about. Looks pretty, but I haven't heard anything good about sound.

I'd avoid Luna. Reviewed several of theirs and played many more. They seem to be all about looks only. The underlying materials are poor, the quality control very questionable and the sound bland IMHO. Worse still - even though they are a value brand, I think they are still excessively priced for what you are getting.

Check with Mim through her eBay store. A lot of her stuff is around your price range. She can point you to a good value and will set up your uke so it’s good as possible. That is important. Her store can be googled. If you search her here you will see lots of happy customers.

Top Bottom