Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tenor Guitar vs Baritone Ukulele

I started with guitar, and still play it regularly, but I go back and forth between guitar and uke. A tenor is as small as I'll go ... even that fretboard is somewhat cramped in the 1-5 frets. On the classical string tenor I'm building, I widened the nut to the same width as a standard baritone.

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    My story goes in the opposite direction. I started with a six string acoustic guitar but had trouble with the long scale and fretting (short fingers). Tried switching to a classical guitar but still had fretting and scale length issues. The ukulele scale lengths and strings work for me although I still like the range, sound and volume you can get with a six string guitar.

And so here I am thinking about baritones.
    Same here. I have played guitar since I was 12 and I'm now 65. A few years ago, it started becoming difficult for me to make the stretches, for several reasons. So I went to tenor guitar, and that made life much easier for pop, jazz and standards (I have an acoustic tenor and electric tenor guitars). But I wanted to continue to play classical music as well, as I used to on my classical guitar. So I found the baritone ukulele and I'm very glad I did. It takes getting used to four strings instead of six -- you have to rearrange the pieces to fit the instrument -- but my baritone uke with soft strings (Worth Brown strings, all non-wound) feels very nice for classical, and it sounds nice to me.

I have one baritone tuned DGBE, and another tuned lower, to ADF#B, which gives more of a guitar-like sound.
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned re-entrant gCEA)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned DGBE)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (currently tuned low-octave ADF#B)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

Quote Originally Posted by John boy View Post
    Same here. I have played guitar since I was 12 and I'm now 65. A few years ago, it started becoming difficult for me to make the stretches, for several reasons. So I went to tenor guitar, and that made life much easier for pop, jazz and standards (I have an acoustic tenor and electric tenor guitars). But I wanted to continue to play classical music as well, as I used to on my classical guitar. So I found the baritone ukulele and I'm very glad I did. It takes getting used to four strings instead of six -- you have to rearrange the pieces to fit the instrument -- but my baritone uke with soft strings (Worth Brown strings, all non-wound) feels very nice for classical, and it sounds nice to me.

I have one baritone tuned DGBE, and another tuned lower, to ADF#B, which gives more of a guitar-like sound.
    Worth browns on both your baritones?
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1
    Martin T1K

Worth browns on all strings except for the low A string on the bari that's tuned A-D-F#-B. I had to use a classical guitar A string for that one, because there aren't any baritone ukulele strings that low. For the D, F# and B, I used the D, G and B strings from a regular set of Worth brown baritone uke strings.

I've always liked Worth Browns.
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1
    Martin T1K

I've had both. Shorter scale of the baritone makes some chords easier to play. However, the steel strings and larger body size of the tenor offers richer sound.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

My story goes in the opposite direction. I started with a six string acoustic guitar but had trouble with the long scale and fretting (short fingers). Tried switching to a classical guitar but still had fretting and scale length issues. The ukulele scale lengths and strings work for me although I still like the range, sound and volume you can get with a six string guitar.

And so here I am thinking about baritones.
    There are also short scaled 6-string guitars, like Parlor and Travel sized guitars.

I've always liked Worth Browns.
    Me too. They are my favorite ukulele string.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    The soprano is the end point for aspiring masters.
    Evolution to soprano:
    Banjo
    Tenor Guitar
    Baritone uke
    Guitar
    Tenor Uke
    Soprano uke.
    Yes, there's a reason why Kamaka calls their soprano the "standard" model. That's where it started for me. Since then I seem to be going to larger ukes.
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1
    Martin T1K

Thread Information