Tenor Guitar vs Baritone Ukulele

My story goes in the opposite direction. I started with a six string acoustic guitar but had trouble with the long scale and fretting (short fingers). Tried switching to a classical guitar but still had fretting and scale length issues. The ukulele scale lengths and strings work for me although I still like the range, sound and volume you can get with a six string guitar.

And so here I am thinking about baritones.

Same here. I have played guitar since I was 12 and I'm now 65. A few years ago, it started becoming difficult for me to make the stretches, for several reasons. So I went to tenor guitar, and that made life much easier for pop, jazz and standards (I have an acoustic tenor and electric tenor guitars). But I wanted to continue to play classical music as well, as I used to on my classical guitar. So I found the baritone ukulele and I'm very glad I did. It takes getting used to four strings instead of six -- you have to rearrange the pieces to fit the instrument -- but my baritone uke with soft strings (Worth Brown strings, all non-wound) feels very nice for classical, and it sounds nice to me.

I have one baritone tuned DGBE, and another tuned lower, to ADF#B, which gives more of a guitar-like sound.

Same here. I have played guitar since I was 12 and I'm now 65. A few years ago, it started becoming difficult for me to make the stretches, for several reasons. So I went to tenor guitar, and that made life much easier for pop, jazz and standards (I have an acoustic tenor and electric tenor guitars). But I wanted to continue to play classical music as well, as I used to on my classical guitar. So I found the baritone ukulele and I'm very glad I did. It takes getting used to four strings instead of six -- you have to rearrange the pieces to fit the instrument -- but my baritone uke with soft strings (Worth Brown strings, all non-wound) feels very nice for classical, and it sounds nice to me.

I have one baritone tuned DGBE, and another tuned lower, to ADF#B, which gives more of a guitar-like sound.

Worth browns on both your baritones?

Worth browns on all strings except for the low A string on the bari that's tuned A-D-F#-B. I had to use a classical guitar A string for that one, because there aren't any baritone ukulele strings that low. For the D, F# and B, I used the D, G and B strings from a regular set of Worth brown baritone uke strings.

I've always liked Worth Browns.

I've had both. Shorter scale of the baritone makes some chords easier to play. However, the steel strings and larger body size of the tenor offers richer sound.

My story goes in the opposite direction. I started with a six string acoustic guitar but had trouble with the long scale and fretting (short fingers). Tried switching to a classical guitar but still had fretting and scale length issues. The ukulele scale lengths and strings work for me although I still like the range, sound and volume you can get with a six string guitar.

And so here I am thinking about baritones.

There are also short scaled 6-string guitars, like Parlor and Travel sized guitars.

The soprano is the end point for aspiring masters.
Evolution to soprano:
Banjo
Tenor Guitar
Baritone uke
Guitar
Tenor Uke
Soprano uke.

Yes, there's a reason why Kamaka calls their soprano the "standard" model. That's where it started for me. Since then I seem to be going to larger ukes.

Top Bottom