Age of Martin C1K ukulele?

Henning

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Martin C1K that I´d like to date (approximately). Obviously Martin doesn´t keep record of the ukulele serial numbers(!) for the Mexico made instruments.

This one is #6486.
So the only way of doing this(?) is to humbly beg of any one here with a once bought new C1K to tell when it was bought, please.
Here or by PM
Regards

I have a c1k and it should come with an original care and feeding booklet which has print year tag on it. Although it’s relative but should be kind of accurate.

I will post my serial number later when I get home.

My C1K's serial number is 5547 and was purchased new in April of 2014. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have a c1k and it should come with an original care and feeding booklet which has print year tag on it. Although it’s relative but should be kind of accurate.

I will post my serial number later when I get home.

Thank you, I bought my on ebay. So I lack all of that and the information contained therein. I can still, (sometimes) get a feeling of the traditional smell or what´s left of it. Not always, just sometimes

Mine is #12784, year 2017 (based on the print date of the booklet that came with it). Mine still has a pretty strong freshly cut wood smell from the sound hole since it is still young.

According to the linked article below, C1K production started in 2012. Hope this is helpful to you.

https://www.ukulelemag.com/stories/martin-ukuleles-history

More affordable models soon followed, some made in Nazareth and some in Mexico. In 2008, Martin introduced three new Style 3 models, in mahogany, koa, and cherry. In 2010, they added a more affordable 0XK ukulele, made from a high-pressure laminate. In 2011, the new line of Style 2 ukuleles debuted. Besides the soprano, these included a concert and tenor ukulele—Martin’s first larger-bodied ukuleles to be re-issued. The next year, they added C1K and T1K concert and tenor ukuleles made in the Mexican facility.

In 2013, Martin created its first-ever Commemorative Custom Artist Ukulele, the 1T IZ, in honor of the Hawaiian musician Israel Kamakawiwo’ole.

Just this year, Martin introduced two new limited edition ukulele models made to celebrate the 100th anniversary of producing ukuleles. The Style 1 and Style 3 Centennial ukuleles commemorate Martin’s vintage ukulele models, and each is limited to a run of just 100 instruments. The Style 1 Centennial ukulele is produced in Mexico and features a darker stain and no headstock decal, both features of 1920s-era Style 1 ukuleles. The Style 3 Centennial ukulele includes standard Style 3 adornments, and adds an inlayed celluloid “kite” on the headstock, a feature last seen on Style 3 ukuleles of the late teens and very early 1920s.

Hello, I have a Martin C1K that I´d like to date (approximately). Obviously Martin doesn't keep record of the ukulele serial numbers(!) for the Mexico made instruments.

I wonder why that is. If they bother to add a serial number, why not store the info about it? I don't think they keep info about the ukes made in PA, either. The Centennial Martins have serial numbers, but not the regular production models (USA).

I wonder why that is. If they bother to add a serial number, why not store the info about it? I don't think they keep info about the ukes made in PA, either. The Centennial Martins have serial numbers, but not the regular production models (USA).

Jerry, all CURRENT USA production models, going back to 2006 when they re-introduced the 5K, have serial numbers and can be dated from their overall serial numbering records, the same as guitars. Now, I do know Mexican made models have serial numbers, but I don't know if you can date them by the SN. I have one of the first produced 3K soprano models when they were added back to their main production in 2007 and it has a serial number that dates it to it's year of production.

https://www.martinguitar.com/about/martin-story/serial-number-lookup/

Jim

Jerry, all CURRENT USA production models, going back to 2006 when they re-introduced the 5K, have serial numbers and can be dated from their overall serial numbering records, the same as guitars. Now, I do know Mexican made models have serial numbers, but I don't know if you can date them by the SN. I have one of the first produced 3K soprano models when they were added back to their main production in 2007 and it has a serial number that dates it to it's year of production.

https://www.martinguitar.com/about/martin-story/serial-number-lookup/

Jim

Thanks. Good to know.

EDIT: Your link covers guitars and mandolins - no ukes.

USA made ukuleles, at least the ones manufactured from 2006 to present, are covered under their normal guitar serial numbering scheme.

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom