Thread: Hi !!

Default Hi !!

I'm Danny from Scotland. I am new to the ukulele so am only a learner. I have a Brunswick Concert but have now upgraded to a Kanilea Islander MST-4. JUst setting it up with Worth brown low G set... I'm sure I will have lots of questions !!!

Hi Danny!
    I'm Scottish/Irish, but I'm stuck in the USA.
    Welcome to UU. Just jump right in, there are lots of topic headings here.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Hi Nickie
    Thanks for the welcome ! Looking forward to playing some great old Irish and Scottish numbers ! I'm taking the plunge and changing to worth B low g on my new kanilea islander solid mahagany tenor. I can't find any advice on string height as the action seems a bit high to me ???
    Here goes....

As the Islander is built in China for Kanilea, the Hawaiian folks should have good enough quality control that it shouldn't' need a customer set up. I've never played an Islander, but I've never heard anything negative.
    I think that the lo G string must have a higher tension, making it harder to press down to the fret. I recommend taking it to your dealer, and ask him to measure the string height all across. If the nut isn't filed out to fit the lo G string, it wont' be the correct height. You could try it yourself, the worst you could do is ruin the nut.
    Maybe another Islander owner could chime in here???
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Welcome to UU Danny
    Happy to be an Intermediate Newbie, Penny

Welcome, string height is usually between 3mm & 5mm at the 12th fret, personal preference, & about 1mm above the first fret.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Welcome Danny!

Hello Danny and welcome aboard! I am in central England myself, but have in-laws from a small town on the west coast of Scotland, who now live down this way.
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time! (And my beautiful Sopranino!)

Welcome, the world needs more lo G players. The knowledge here is un ending. And they even tolerate me.

Thread Information