Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tenor strings for down tuning: World of Ukes Clarity strings

Quote Originally Posted by Lux Carpathica View Post
    I want to get truly loco and downtune a gCEA tenor uke 2 1/2 steps to dGBE. Three reasons: 1. I like that lazy downtuned tension, 2. I like the lower tone but still w/ re-entrant, 3. so I can play w/ guitars and not have to transpose on the fly.

Based on this thread, I was planning to get some Clarity tenor strings to attempt this madness. However, I wonder if there are any other likeminded folks who might recommend other super-high-tension fluorocarbon tenor strings they‘ve successfully used to go from gCEA to dGBE and still have it sound non-stupid-and-awful.

FWIW, I got the idea after doing 10 years on a nylon-stringed soprano and then getting my first non-cheap uke, Martin T1K tenor with Martin fluoro strings. My fingertips were like, “ow!” so I kept downtunong until I liked the tension. Turned out I’d downtuned 2 whole steps. “Hell, I’m almost all the way down to baritone uke/guitar land, so why not try one more half-step and go all the way,” I said. But that last half step just got things all flubby/tubby/limp-rubber-bandy. I figured there has to be some even tensionier strings around to go the full measure.

Thanks to all you beautiful people and your cumulative dank knowledge. You make civilization worth the trouble.
    Thanks for doing this Jim. Came across this thread doing research for high tension low G strings to have the option to drop tune low G tenor to DGBE.

Lux, in my experience Martin tenor flourocarbons work very well to drop tune gCEA to dGBE.

Does anybody know of high tension low G fluorocarbons that have similar tension to Martin gCEA tenor strings? I'm thinking maybe the wound D string on a Martin baritone set would work for low G tuning. I've had Martin baritone fluorocarbons on tenors before and they sound good. Mahalo in advance for guidance on this.

I wonder how well the gone fishin strings would work to design a custom set. They are available in nine gauges cut to desired length. Supposedly a dual layer string with hard core and softer mantle for playing comfort.
    https://www.bytowninstruments.com/pr...kulele-strings

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    I wonder how well the gone fishin strings would work to design a custom set. They are available in nine gauges cut to desired length. Supposedly a dual layer string with hard core and softer mantle for playing comfort.
    https://www.bytowninstruments.com/pr...kulele-strings
    Interesting... thanks for the find Merlin. Have you or anybody you've known tried these out?

I know there several threads on DGBE for tenor. You pretty much have to use a wound string for the D. (Unwound barely works for low D on baritone.) Almost any "5" string from a classical guitar set will work. The Thomastik Infeld CF35 (? I think - don't hold me to that. Might be the CF30) gets mentioned a lot. The GBE can be any low G tenor set you like - you're just moving them over one slot. Although many people who've tried this advocate a wound G as well to get a well balanced set.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA